How to finish after a very big repair

Old 04-19-09, 10:35 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to finish after a very big repair

I've been searching through old posts, but can't find answers to a couple of things. We've just gone through about a four-week repair done by professionals (foundation and water damage problems on the south and west sides of the house). The stucco from the south wall was completely removed, so we had primed Hardiplank installed there (nice improvement-added insulation, plywood shear wall, and Tyvek). The front of the house is already siding, so it looks fine. Only the bottom three feet of the stucco had to be removed from the west (back) wall, so we had that repaired. Now for how to finish it, which we'd like to do ourselves if possible.

Things I'm confused about: 1.The stucco people said elastomeric paint is best. Do we use that only on the stucco, or can we paint the Hardiplank with it, too? 2. Everywhere I read that new stucco should cure for 30 days, but they said this has some sort of acrylic in it and doesn't need to cure. Won't it cause the paint to fail if we paint it too soon? 3.The Hardiplank is caulked where it meets any trim, but not where two pieces meet each other along the wall. The contractor who did the job is so good I figure that must be how it's done, but I just wanted to check before painting. Is that right?

Thanks to anyone who can point us in the right direction here. We don't want to do anything that might mess up all the good work that's been done.

Old 04-19-09, 12:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Elastromeric is a good type type of paint to apply over primed or painted masonary. It's a good waterproofing paint. If there are no moisture concerns or hairline cracks to hide, you should get a good job with most any quality latex house paint which will also work well on the siding [prime first]

I think when to first paint stucco has been debated since the first stucco was ever painted ..... ... and stucco that's painted too soon especially with cheap paint will fade and loose a lot of it's color. I've never had any issues when priming and painting stucco that was atleast 3 days old.

Old 04-19-09, 01:42 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The hardi siding may/may not need to be caulked.

Look for your location here: HardiePlank Lap Siding Be safe, GBR

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: