How to prevent shingle siding from falling off?

Old 05-21-09, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to prevent shingle siding from falling off?

I am wondering what i can do to prevent more shingles from coming loose and falling off my house. It seems like everytime i mow i find more shingles in the grass that have fallen off. Would it be unwise to run a bead of caulking on all the bottom edges of each row of siding. If so, why? Would it look bad to use my coil nailer to tack a nail in each shingle in each row then paint over it all? I do and have replaced the idividual shingles in the past, thanks to these forums. Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 05-21-09, 02:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Sounds as if you have had hail or wind damage. How old is the roof? The tabs that are falling off are useless, now for water protection as they are no longer part of the integrated shingle. Reinstalling them in their original place may cause more problems. Have you contacted your insurance company on this, yet?
Scratch what I said. You said SIDING, didn't you. Man, I've been working too hard. Is the siding actually shingles or are they asbestos? Once they start to deteriorate, it almost leads to a complete R&R, but you want to be careful if they are the old asbestos shingles. Let us know.

Last edited by chandler; 05-21-09 at 03:00 PM. Reason: being dumb
Old 05-23-09, 08:04 AM
They are wood shingles. House is about 35 yrs old and most of the houses in the neighborhood have them. The worst side is facing west, lots of sun and rain exposure. I cant really afford to replace all the siding. Options? Thanks

Old 05-24-09, 02:35 PM
G
No, don't caulk them. I would not use a coil siding gun nail because of the big head and thickness diameter of the nail. Your siding is probably nailed with 6d galvanized siding hand nails. Putting a bigger 7d nail would split it. I would use on a test area, a 1" staple by 1/4" wide, on one side, just below the upper course. Do a small area where they are coming off anyway, watch it for a few months. Be safe, G

Old 05-24-09, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yes, I agree with G on using the stapler just under the bottom of the course above it. I install most of my shakes using a narrow crown stapler with galvanized staples. Seems to grab more of the fiber and tends to split less. Good luck with it.

Larry

Old 05-25-09, 03:03 PM
Im assume ya'll mean like a air stapler? I will try that on the back first, to see what happens. Assuming it ever stops raining here!! Thanks Guys!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: