Advice on vinyl siding repair

Old 06-25-09, 09:24 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on vinyl siding repair

I purchased an end-unit townhome about 2 months ago. During the inspection (and before it), we noticed some "bubbling" in some places on the detached side of the home (front is brick, back is fine). A contractor was hired by the seller, and he fixed those areas.

We thought it was under control. Wrong. After 2 months in the home, there are new spots popping up like this.

While out mowing the lawn yesterday, I noticed a contractor repairing some siding on another house that was selling (go figure). Apparently these homes, although well built otherwise (apparently), the siding was haphazardly installed. The builder used very few nails and often times missed studs. The contractor demonstrated this for me.

The fix seems very easy. Detach the siding, pull out loose nails, renail into studs, but not too tight. However, these homes are three stories.. so very high. I'm pretty handy, but would likely need to rent a scissor lift in order to get to the very top.

What are my options here? Its an eyesore, but should I let it ride? Should I hire a contractor to fix those trouble areas... or have them re-nail the entire side? Any idea what the costs should be on this? The side of the home is 35'.

Old 06-25-09, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ask the guy next door what he would charge you. Or the guy that fixed yours the last time. he was probably told to only fix the places you found. Get both estimates and go from there.
To do it right you would need to remove all the siding then start over re-siding the correct nailing to the studs as you said. The nails are pretty cheap and you could call a rental place for their daily rates on the lift. Also ask them about the cost of the delivery and pickup of the lift. Figure two days rental.
Take all estimates and see which you want to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: