Siding cost (Crane Board) and negotiation

Old 07-26-09, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I understand this may ruffle some feathers with contractors but quotes are all over the map for the same product and I'm hoping to get some clarity.

I'm looking to have 6" Crane board installed on our house as after much research I've settled on it being the best. I have a 1800 sq ft two story in the western Chicago burbs and have five quotes that range from $12500 from a contractor to $18000 for a radio advertised siding business. I've got a pretty good idea that we're between 23-24 squares of siding.

What does Crane board actually cost for a square? I called Crane and all the numbers they gave me are wholesalers only. Also is there a contractor cost vs my cost for the product? Lastly, is there a way to ask the contractor you choose what his best offer is?

Much appreciated!

Old 07-26-09, 06:27 AM
After reading this thread where some were saying $560/sq is too high and that included fascia (although 2yrs old) I'm wondering if even my $12500 quote is too high since it is siding only. Thoughts?

http://forum.doityourself.com/lumber...te-siding.html

Old 07-26-09, 06:41 AM

Why are you worried about the material cost when you are looking for a low installed price?

Contractors make their profit by job and customer evaluation, scheduling, knowledge and performance.

If you were to buy the materials yourself, you will pay more for the labor because of the waste, cost of getting more material. A customer buying materials only gets in the way and raises the labor cost.

Many suppliers, dealers and distributors do not want to waste valuable time with a one-time customer. That can cost more than the profit they make on the product.

Your high and low bids are in a reasonable range for most types of work. Since you have been shopping around, what were the average prices? They are probably in the lower end of the range you listed. Someone has to pay for the radio advertising and some contractors need the work badly (for many reasons)., while others just give "comp" bids to obvious shoppers based on past experiences.

Dick

Old 07-26-09, 10:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
..... and price isn't everything. Not everyone does the same quality of work and a quality job often costs more $. Always check references before hiring any contractor

Old 07-27-09, 07:30 AM
Appreciate the comments and suggestions. We've settled on a contractor who was the most transparent*. As mentioned the lowest was $12500 and he was about a little less than a grand more. Is it reasonable to assume that the bid price is not the "best" offer? I'm not trying to be a cheap jerk, although it may seem otherwise, as I'm aware that negotiation involves making both parties happy with the agreement.

*Amongst many things, he was the only one who told me insulated siding did not qualify for the gov't tax rebate. All others said it did.

Last edited by savedsol; 07-27-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 01:36 PM
After much hemming and hawing I'm now curious is insulated siding is even worth it. After viewing this and other boards the consensus seems to be that it's a gimmick since cold air will penetrate the vertical and horizontal seams.

Lastly, and back to negotiating, I'm reading on builderonline that 2009 avg installed cost on vinyl is $182/square. So essentially all my quotes are making $300 every 10 sq feet? $7500? I understand there are costs associated with labor, insurance, etc but holy crap that seems like a monster markup. Kind of like the $2400 quote on four windows installed that I can get the exact same ones at Menards for $900. So really, what's reasonable as far as negotiating room?

Choosing siding for your homes depends on many variables. - Products, Exteriors, Siding - Builder Magazine

Old 07-29-09, 08:01 AM
H
Just wanted to pass along this article I found on the ***** site. I just bought a home and my fiance and I are looking to remodel the exterior. After months of research and talking to contractors about the right siding product for our home (I even toured the plant where the siding is made), we finally decided on *****. If your contractor is reputable, you shouldn't have a problem with cold air. The insulation used on ***** is great at keeping the air out. This is a truly quality product and I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 07-29-09 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Advertising not allowed on forum.
Old 07-29-09, 08:16 AM
I'm glad you believe everything you read. Also, seeing how this is post #1 for you it's HIGHLY suspicious (and probably true) that you're just a sales guy.

That fact you're telling me about it's ability to keep air out and YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE IT INSTALLED is proof enough. Sorry spammer.

Old 07-29-09, 08:58 AM
H
Definitely not a salesguy. And the post should read WERE in the market. We had the siding installed about a month ago. We also talked with several homeowners who raved about their siding. So, I'm sorry if you thought it was spam. I was just passing along information (that I don't necessarily believe.)

Old 07-29-09, 09:07 AM
"The insulation used on CraneBoard is great at keeping the air out. This is a truly quality product and I wouldn't recommend anything else."

You only have one month experience and not even a winter month to make such bold statements? You also have no experience with other products. I'll believe contractors over your (unbiased or not) limited experience.

The fact that the government no longer recognizes insulated siding as an insulator is proof enough for me it's only about "feel" and maybe sound deadening. Last year it was deductible on taxes, this year it's not.

Old 07-29-09, 12:16 PM
Siding Costs

I probably should keep my mouth shut, but I am going to jump in here and give my opinion. The siding you have chosen is good. You will like it. If you think you have about 24 square I would say that the installation price of about $11,000 to $13,000 should be about right. It kind of depends on how many windows and doors and other things on your house that have to be sided around that makes a difference in the cost. If you got a contractor in that range and you get along good with him just get it done. For your information, the "R" value (instulation) in siding is very low. The insulation wheather it be fanfold or otherwise gives a smooth backing for the siding so it will look good after installed. Have a good day.

Old 07-29-09, 12:30 PM
Thank you so much Jack. We've decided to save a few ducats and just go with Crane's Market Square. For the extra dough we would have spent on Crane Board (~$2300) we'll be getting new windows, storm door and shutters.

Not sure why you feel you shouldn't speak on the subject since it's relevant and not product opinion based.

Old 07-29-09, 01:21 PM
Siding Costs

The reason I started out that way, is because I can get people stirred up very easily. I am kind of a old style hard core contractor and I just shoot from the hip. I am really a very nice guy though and have no problem helping people. You will like your siding. Take Care and come back and visit anytime.

Old 04-30-10, 06:05 AM
Ended up with the Crane Market Square in Oct. Now April my wife put the grill too close to the house and I have two warped panels.

Can individual panels be replaced?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: