siding over asbestos shingles

Old 07-26-09, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
siding over asbestos shingles

hello, I have a bi-level house that has asbestos shingles on the sides and back of the house and the front is cedar shakes. I would like to vinyl side the house and go over the asbestos and remove the cedar shakes. I am a handy guy who is considering doing the job myself after getting some estimates from some contractors. They are alot more than I expected. What do I need to do to get this job done. I understand that siding gets hung not installed and also to leave 1/4 gap on each side of the j channels and corner posts for expansion. If anyone can tell me what to do from start to finish it would be appreciated. Also is this a job that you guys think I can do? I think I can do it , it's just going to take alot more time than if a contractor does it. Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-09, 10:20 AM
I would remove the asbestos siding before installing the new siding. As far as how to do it, you can google "how to install vinyl siding" and get some information there.

Bill

Old 07-28-09, 11:22 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
First depending on age it may be mineral siding not asbestos siding but they look the same. If you try to nail new siding over them with out pre-drilling a lot of them will bust up leaving you with the problem of not having a flat surface for the new siding. I'd remove the siding first. The issue is how environmentally conscious you are and if it is truly asbestos siding or mineral siding.. My answer would probably not be within the guidelines for this forum.

Old 07-29-09, 02:43 PM
You need to contact your county to found out how to "correctly" dispose of asbestos. If they find you dumping it in your garbage or in any landfill you will be charged with a pretty hefty fine. After tearing off and disposing of the old shingles. I would replace the vapor barrier (ex. Tyvek, etc.) if needed. Then starting running your siding.

Old 07-29-09, 08:00 PM
the house is 40 years old . I was told that the shingles are asbestos. As far as removing them I believe that it would cost me a pretty penny to have them removed. I have had a few estimates and they all came in pretty high and they all said that they would side over the asbestos with foamboard and then the vinyl. I would like to know from a-z how to do it. I know that I have to use cap nails on the3 /8 in foam and then side over the foam, but where do I start. Do I wrap the windows first and then find the lowest spot of the house and start from there? Just exactly where do I start? I really feel that I can do this and save some $$$$. but I just need to know how to side over the asbestos and where to start and what trip ups I should look for. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-30-09, 04:59 AM
You may find it is not as expensive as you think. Asbestos siding is not "friable" and around here homeowners can remove it and put it out with regular trash. Contractors have to have documentation of where it finally wound up, but it is still not too big of a deal. As ray2047 says you will have trouble nailing through it, could become a big mess.

Bill

Old 07-30-09, 08:55 AM
Do you even no if you have a solid wall underneath? On new construction here sometimes they just used 1X4s several inches apart with nothing in between. In that case you would not have anything solid to nail the new siding to. Yes there is the studs but nailing into the mineral or asbestos siding to get to a stud would leave you with breakage and an uneven surface.

Off topic and opinion the sidings guys don't care if it falls of the wall after they are paid. The foam is a convenience to raise the wall surface even with the top surface of the window trim. They just run the siding up to the inside of the windows. Easy and quick for them but a window without trim looks like crap IMHO. If it turns out the siding is nailed to little more the foam board how will it hold up in a strong wind?

Old 07-30-09, 02:18 PM
Take a nail and try to hammer it into the existing siding. (In an inconspicuous place) How did that work for you? I have not seen fiber shingles on a house without sheathing (1x8 or ply) yet. Maybe it's a local thing. I agree, remove and dispose. I pulled it off my house, 8% asbestoes, and took it to the landfill, no charge. Ask your building department. Some let homeowners dump it, some don't. Ask locally.
Be safe, G

Old 07-30-09, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=GBR in WA;1600230] I have not seen fiber shingles on a house without sheathing (1x8 or ply) yet. Maybe it's a local thing. QUOTE] Actually I assumed it was either ignorance or a really cheap contractor. Wood shakes are almost always installed that way here and I assumed it may have been done by someone use to doing wood shakes. Almost all asbestos siding I have seen was over older existing siding so seldom see it installed as new.

Old 07-30-09, 08:07 PM
you say something about putting insulation board over the existing siding and put the new siding up? do oyu have any doors and windows in that section? are they recessed?