Drilling a hole for piping

Old 08-07-09, 07:59 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilling a hole for piping

I need to drill a hole through some 2X4 to place some 3/4" steel propane pipe though. I need to know what size hole to drill to fit the 3/4" pipe........in other words when I go to HD, what size auger/spade/brad point bit do I need to accomodate that size pipe with a tight fit?

Old 08-07-09, 08:29 PM
something bigger than 3/4 maybe a 1''?

Old 08-08-09, 04:11 AM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Drill Bit

Measure the outside diameter of the pipe.

Old 08-08-09, 04:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! If you are running this through a series of studs consider the inflexibility of the pipe and the need to put it through the studs perfectly level. Get a bit a little larger than the size of the pipe, cut your hole dead center of the stud and exactly the same height, or it will never run through.
Fill us in on what the entire project involves. Just "running through studs" doesn't give a lot of information. There may be other considerations we haven't touched on yet.

Larry

Old 08-08-09, 07:24 AM
D
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums! If you are running this through a series of studs consider the inflexibility of the pipe and the need to put it through the studs perfectly level. Get a bit a little larger than the size of the pipe, cut your hole dead center of the stud and exactly the same height, or it will never run through.
Fill us in on what the entire project involves. Just "running through studs" doesn't give a lot of information. There may be other considerations we haven't touched on yet.

Larry
Well its only one stud as I am building a small home brewery and am plumbing my propane lines to hook up to my multi-jet burner.

So if I am using 3/4" pipe will a 1" hole suffice or will I have to go a little bigger?

I guess my question is when a pipe is labeled as 3/4", is that the inner diameter or the outer diameter? Beer 4U2

Old 08-08-09, 07:47 AM
S
That type of pipe is always inside diameter and even that measurement is "nominal" or not exact,often the measurement is smaller than actual..Take a rule with you to HD and measure a peice of pipe but yes around an inch should be fine.

Old 08-08-09, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
nope..prob need bigger depending on how tight you want it...I'd go 1 1/4"

Notes on Pipe has size charts

Old 08-08-09, 08:03 AM
D
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
nope..prob need bigger depending on how tight you want it...I'd go 1 1/4"

Notes on Pipe has size charts
I do want a tight fit as it will have a 7lb jet burner on the end of it.

So whats the best type of pipe to use for gas (propane to be exact)...steel?

Old 08-08-09, 08:13 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Black iron not galvanized. Yellow not white or pink Teflon tape or pipe dope specifically for gas including propane.

Old 08-08-09, 09:47 AM
S
Happened to have a 3/4 peice here and it measured right at an inch outside.1 1/8 bit would be tight but not too tight.Spade bits come in that size but I'm told not everybody carries it.It is carried by hardware stores and is part of the Ace planogram for that section so every store would carry it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: