Fiber cement with cedar trim

Old 09-13-09, 12:44 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fiber cement with cedar trim

Hello all,

I have a house with Masonite (or similar) siding material. House is approximately 17 years old and siding is beginning to fail. In some spots near the bottom of the house the failure is getting pretty severe.

I'd like to replace as soon as possible but cost is prohibitive. My house has large vertical pieces of cedar trim that butt up against the edges of the lap siding.

Could i replace ONLY the lap siding with fiber cement and have the fiber cement butt up against the existing cedar? Would this lead to any sort of problem later? The cedar trim is in great shape and there is a lot of it. However I don't want to save a few bucks now at the cost of causing issues later.

Also would this make it difficult to properly wrap the house with Tyvek or the like? Would the trim have to be removed?

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts you might have!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-09, 04:13 PM
L
mcgoon,

Welcome to the forums.

Replacing the existing lap siding with a cement fibr siding and keeping the cedar trim will work fine. But to install Tyvek or a similar housewrap, you would have to remove the cedar trim in order to get it on. Not's not that difficult, as long as you are careful when you remove the cedar.

This will be a major undertaking. Line up enough help before you begin, especially dealing with the housewrap.

Old 09-13-09, 09:00 PM
G
Remove some siding near the corner, you my have builder's paper there already. If so, do not remove the trim. Either fold the new paper or house wrap into the old, 2" wide, 2-3 times, OR just tape the joints with pricey Tyvek tape. I recommend builder's paper over Typar and Typar over Tyvek: UMass Amherst: Building and Construction Technology Housewraps, Felt Paper and Weather Penetration Barriers http://www.typar.com/pdfs/Typar_vs_Tyvek.pdf Follow siding product installation instructions (gaps at ends, corners, etc.).
Be safe, Gary

Old 09-14-09, 05:01 PM
M
Thank you both for the suggestions, they are much appreciated!