cleaning vinly siding

Old 09-16-09, 09:41 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cleaning vinly siding

I've read many different suggestions on what to use for cleaning siding but thought I'd throw it out there and see what you had to say. I have a friend that power sprayed it and that really didn't do much. I'm not sure what is on the siding but it is grey/black on the white siding and obviously not just dirt. I'd like to use something that will not hurt the plants. Anything you have had extreme success with? Thank you in advance for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-09, 05:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I usually use a bleach/water solution and then rinse with a PWer. I've heard that bleach can be harmfull to vinyl although I think that's overblown - especially if you spray it onto wet siding and rinse it before it dries. Bleach can harm plant life if care isn't taken to protect and/or rinse them well.

There are various commercially prepared siding cleaners available. Jomax is one such brand and most are fairly diy and plant friendly.

Your friend most likely has mildew on his siding.

Old 09-17-09, 05:18 PM
G
Simple Green
Be safe, Gary

Old 09-18-09, 07:24 PM
N
I'm really not so worried about the bleach hurting the vinyl as the plants. I've heard simple green before but don't know about it and plants. I'll keep researching it. There seem to be a lot of possibilities. Thanks for the advice!!!!

Old 09-19-09, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I use a bleach/water solution a lot for prepping houses/decks for painting.Damage to plant life can be avoided if care is used. Sometimes I'll cover the plants with plastic but on hot sunny days this may not be a good idea - the plants can cook under the plastic Generally keeping the plants wet with water [before,during and after] and avoiding any direct spray will keep the cleaning solution deluted enough to prevent harm..... and a little bit of common sense will go a long way

Old 09-19-09, 07:40 AM
N
I thought you probably used plastic with the bleach but I guess that WOULD be bad on a hot hot day! I suppose I thought that even with the plastic the bleach would get in the ground but I certainly love cleaning everything I can with bleach. Nothing gets things cleaner!!Thanks marksr!

Old 10-13-09, 12:28 PM
N
Well, we tried a bleach/water mix (50/50) along with some powdered detergent which I had heard might help and scrubbed one piece of the siding and while it took dirt off there is still what I guess is a stain that the bleach did not touch. Any suggestions for stained siding? It looks like quite a bit of the siding is actually stained somehow.

Old 10-13-09, 05:10 PM
L
Simple Green. Dilute it a little bit, spray it on, let it sit a couple of minutes, scrub with a deck brush, rinse.

Old 10-13-09, 05:40 PM
N
Wow! Really? Okay. If it ever stops raining Lefty I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

Old 10-16-09, 06:28 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Lefty is absolutely correct. That's what I did when I had a house with vinyl siding. Made it look brand new.