How to go around corners with vinyl J-channel?

Old 09-21-09, 12:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to go around corners with vinyl J-channel?

Hi
I have a small brick bungalow where the living room extends over the foundation and is the only part that is sided. The siding goes around the corner and terminates at the chimney. I'm replacing the old pressboard siding with vinyl vertical siding. I'm at the very beginning of the process and I've installed the J-channel around the living room window and it looks good and no problems with that. My question is, how do you do inside corners? Example: J-channel along the top of the wall runs into the chimney and turns 90 down. Is there a standard way to cut or fit the top and side pieces together? All of the guides I've found online describe how to do outside J-channel corners (i.e. around windows and doors), but they don't seem to describe the way to do inside corners.

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-09, 01:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Use an inside corner manufactured for your siding. You can use j-channel, but it will look cheesy after a while. Unless you are terminating the siding, then you would just apply a piece of jchannel vertically next to the chimney and insert your siding.

Old 09-21-09, 01:21 PM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
J-channel

Cut a 90 deg. notch in the face of the J-channel and in the back side so you can bend it.

Old 09-21-09, 03:59 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cuda7,

Welcome to the forums.

Sounds to me like you will be siding one wall, and the chimney will be the other wall. An inside corner, as suggested by Chandler, won't work in that application.

The cuts are pretty easy. On the horizontal piece (across the top) you have the face and the nailer of the "J" channel. On the face, do a 45 degree cut, from the corner out across what will be the top piece. On the nailer, do the same cut directly behind the first one. (You are leaving the back of the "J" in tact so that you can bend it.) On the side that will be the vertical piece do cuts that are more like 70 degrees on both the face and the nailer, ending in the corner where the bend will be. When you bend the "J" you want the 45 degree cut on the top side to be on the outside of the corner, and the cut on the vertical section to be tucked inside of that.

(I do them in my sleep, but to describe them in typewritten instructions -- NOW THAT'S TOUGH!!!)

Old 09-21-09, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
After I read the post, I figured he was terminating rather than turning a corner. Just looking for clarification.

Old 09-21-09, 05:21 PM
L
Larry, I think that's what cuda7 was talking about. Check your PM's. I just sent you one kind relating to what raviies was talking about in some other forum. (Something about the door faces in the wrong direction!!)

Mike

Old 09-22-09, 07:04 AM
C
Thanks for the replies, I think lefty's reply sounds like the best idea.

But what if I want to do the top, side and bottom J-channels as separate pieces that terminate in the corners? The particular wall is only 5' wide x 10' high, so I could use 2 - 5' pieces and a 10' piece and there would be no lap joints. How would I trim the channel at the corners in this scenario?

Old 09-22-09, 07:13 AM
L
Terminating the "J" in the corner, the cuts are the same.

Install the side piece first, cutting the top end at about 30 degrees. The top piece will have it's end cut at 45 degrees and slip over the side piece. That gives you a finished corner with nice 45 degree angle exposed.

Old 09-22-09, 07:26 AM
C
Perfect, thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: