Siding & Soffit - installed in what order?

Old 10-20-09, 11:42 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding & Soffit - installed in what order?

Hello All,

I am doing my first building project and am nearing the siding/soffit stage. I am pretty confused by the order of operations. I ASSumed that the soffit/F-channel went up first, then a person used J-channel against the F-channel. However, I was searching for the correct method of building the box ends, and found this image:

It shows the installer putting the F-channel over the siding. Doing this would eliminate the need for "perfect" cuts, and also eliminate several sticks of J-channel. However, it doesnt seem like it would allow the siding to expand and contract as needed?

Is this the preferred method of installation, or is this just an example of how it can be done when using hardboard siding?

Old 10-20-09, 01:17 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Normally you would install your soffit panels first. With and F-channel or frieze molding at the wall.
Next install your siding using a j-channel where it meets the soffit.
I'm assuming you are installing aluminum soffit and vinyl siding. Not that it matters much. Soffit first then siding is the norm no matter what materials you are using.
The photo example seems a little strange to me, but I guess it works, but not the best option in my opinion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: