Vinyl Siding nailed directly to plywood

Old 02-06-10, 02:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Siding nailed directly to plywood

We're in the process of bying a newer (2 year old) house. At home inspection it was discovered that there is nothing between the plywood and siding. My initial thought is that the plywood will get wet in spots every time it rains, and eventually rot. It is a modular home, don't know if that makes any difference.

1. Are there any professionals out there that can give some insight on this? Is this OK? Anyone ever see this before?

2. If it must be corrected, what would it take to do it right?

We're really close to just walking away, but have $585.00 invested in a home inspection already.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-10, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
To do it right? Strip off the siding and start over. WRB wasn't required by IRC code under vinyl siding until the 2006 IRC, which IMO is really insane that it wasn't required in the first place. Unfortunately, you see it every now and then and it makes me shake my head. If the house is 2 yrs old, it obviously wasn't built to current standards, but perhaps to the older 2003 IRC. Even then, some states make the use of housewrap mandatory, no matter what code builders use. I'm not sure if there is some exemption for modular/mobile homes or not.

In order to assess what damage has really been done, you'd want to remove the vinyl siding underneath the windows, and notice the damage that has been done where water runs down the side j-channels and runs down behind the siding at the bottom corners of each window.

Unless they are willing to knock a LOT off of the price, I'd run, not walk. If you wanted to fix about 75% of the problem, you'd remove the lower 1/2 of the siding and put housewrap on there, making sure the bottoms of all your windows are flashed correctly. If carefully removed, your existing siding could be reinstalled in the same exact place it came from.