Sheathing gets soaked...worries??

Old 03-15-10, 02:17 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sheathing gets soaked...worries??

Hi troops,

In the midst of a ranch remodel. Last week, approx. half of our new vinyl siding was installed, then came what's now our 4th day of rain in the northeast - we've had like 3-4 inches of sideways heavy rain. Result: exposed sheathing (older style 'stuff', not today's osb but some other type of board whose name escapes me, house originally about 50 yrs old) has gotten soaked and some leaking has occurred thru minor gaps that were not sealed. In addition, we had insulation (fg batts) installed last week as well, which has gotten wet in a few spots.

My plan is to remove and replace any insulation that has absorbed moisture - is this totally necessary or will it dry if given a bit of time?

I'm concerned about the sheathing. It's the type of stuff that seems spongy and will 'give' if pushed/pressed - should this be replaced where still exposed and should it all have been replaced to begin with?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-15-10, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The sheathing may be ok, but I question why the house wasn't wrapped in Tyvek or some other WRB prior to the installation of the vinyl. Having done it correctly we wouldn't be having this problem. If the sheathing is wet, let it dry out before proceeding. Replace the insulation. If you are using a contractor, have him remove all the siding, install a WRB, then reinstall the siding. Doing it right is much easier than doing it wrong, since you have to do it again.

Old 03-15-10, 03:44 AM
J
Thanks Chandler, I forgot to mention, we are using Tyvek. Problem is we were letting the siding guy install the final sheets of the wrap and it was not yet complete...so the area that now have siding are wrapped - some portions though still exposed.

Joe

Old 03-15-10, 03:51 AM
J
When we say 'dry out' - how long would you wait - I imagine that could be quite a while. Are we inviting mold?

Old 03-15-10, 05:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Is the sheathing black?

How long it will take to dry is dependent on weather conditions. Sun and wind will dry it quicker than overcast damp days
IMO the fiberglass insulation will be ok as long as you take it out and let it dry before reinstalling.

Old 03-15-10, 06:42 AM
J
Thanks for the reply Mark.

Sheathing is not black - it is fairly dark brown, I think it's best described as somewhat fibrous compared to today's osb and such.

I think my plan is:

1. Put a halt on any further siding installation - did that this AM.

2. Remove insulation that got wet and try to dry.

3. Allow wind and sun to do their thing for a couple/few days to let the building breathe and dry.

4. Plus any gaps in sheathing, apply remaining wrap and siding prior to next rain event.

I guess the 'insulation drying question' is just use my best judgement - may just replace since the cost is not prohibitive.

Anything to add/correct in my plan anyone?

Thanks again,
Joe

Old 03-15-10, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
The brown sheathing is commonly referred to as "fiberboard sheathing" or buffalo board. I wouldn't worry too much about the water, since back when it that product used to be installed, housewrap was not used. All housewraps are vapor permeable, and the sheathing will be able to dry out once its covered with siding. I don't believe it would be "thoroughly wet", like a sponge, since it is fairly moisture resistant.

Fiberglass will also dry out, mold usually only grows on the paper facing or on wood dust that has gotten into it. Mold would be a real concern if you had a poly vapor barrier on one side of the insulation and foam sheathing on the other.... or if it suddenly got hot. Mold likes to grow quickly in warm weather, it really doesn't grow much in cool weather.

So I would be inclined to suggest you continue with your job and not worry about it. Everything will dry out gradually. Getting an exposed sheathing covered with housewrap should be your priority if you are worried about further wetting. The majority of the water likely got in through the joints of the sheathing.

Old 03-16-10, 11:08 AM
J
Sleeper:

Thanks. 'Celotex' is the brand name I was hunting for and, yes, I see it is also referred to as fiberboard and buffalo board. Today is our first dry, sunny day so I'm letting mother nature do its thing today and tomorrow - Thurs. we will complete housewrap and siding. Rather than remove the fg I am inclined to simply let it dry on its own since there is no vapor barrier and hopefully things will turn out fine.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and input.

Joe

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: