Another siding ?

Old 03-17-10, 10:14 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another siding ?

I finally purchased the vinyl siding for my detached garage. I will be starting shortly but my last dilemna is this. It currently has wood lap siding about 14" wide that is in good shape. I hate to tear it all off and start new. If I add 3/8" fanfold over the entire garage the J channel will stick out quite a bit past the edge of the door moldings. I guess this wouldn't matter. Then someone mentioned this so advise if this would work. Put the corners, j channel up over existing siding ( no fanfold) and then start installing the siding and when you come to the areas that are not flat use a piece of fanfold 2" wide by the length of wall and nail it to wall and then nail the top of the siding to this. Almost like furring strips acting as a shim. This will keep all the channels closer to the existing siding and shim out the siding only. Please advise if anyone has seen this done before

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-10, 04:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You may wind up with a wavy mess. I know you hate to remove it, but without furring out the siding with a solid material, I am afraid you will not be able to keep it straight. You will encounter additional problems when you get to your doors and windows as the brick mold is set and if you add more to it, the siding will stick proud of the brick mold.
It is your garage, and I know you don't want to do it, but I'd remove the siding, install OSB, typar and your siding.