Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Want to paint my aluminum siding, just need some insight.

Old 03-31-10, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We had moved into our home back in August and about 2/3's of the house is green aluminum siding. UGLY but non the less it's in near perfect shape.

The siding paint is fully intact. No pealing, chipping or fading. As a matter of fact I can run my finger down the siding and nothing is left on my finger such as dirt, paint or dust.

I don't want to pressure wash this as I was told if it's done wrong it could cause problems with the paint and possible leaks.

I want to wash the siding and then rinse it. Any suggestions? Such as a powder soap?

From there I intend on rolling the house. To risky to do a sprayer as the houses are not that far apart and my neighbors cars would be out and I don't want to chance any over-spray and such.

Can someone suggest what type of roller's to use on this project? The siding is 6". I am curious as to what type of nap to use to do this project. I intend on going with a dark beige and hope it can cover the green easily. The green is rather light so it's not very dark in color.

I have been reading my rear end off online and I see so many people saying, roll one run of the siding at a time. Other sites say do a 4x4' section at a time and move from there. The good thing is my buddy is going to loan my his scaffolding so it should help ease the job greatly.

Any roller suggestions are greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time and replies.
Spank.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-10, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
The biggest factor in a good aluminum siding repaint is having clean siding. It's good that it's not chalky [#1 cause of repaint failure] I'd probably use TSP but most any detergent should do a good job of cleaning the siding - be sure to rinse well! It's best to avoid spraying the water in an upward fashion. Either straight on or downward... and yes that means using ladders or scaffolding for the cleaning process too. I'd probably use a pressure washer but a good job of cleaning can be done without one, it might just take a little longer but that is preferable to using a PWer incorrectly causing damage

One of those mini rollers would work best for rolling the siding. I'm not sure which nap would work best - I've sprayed every aluminum siding repaint I've done.

Go to your local paint store for your paint [not a paint dept] They will have better coatings and advice than your typical big box store. They should be able to help you pick the best roller and cover for the job. It's never a good idea to skimp or go cheap on exterior coatings. Compared to the labor, the paint is a small portion of the job. The better paints will both cover better and last longer

Old 04-06-10, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Sorry I'm getting back a little late. Been busy working around the house! Yard work and such! I'm beat.

I took a week off the first week in May and am praying it's nice that week (no humidity yet) and should be a good time to start painting.

I am going with Sherwin Williams and their lifetime paint. The guy I spoke to on the phone said it's guaranteed for the life of the house and costs $50 a gallon so that should work nice.

I am going to pressure wash the siding to be safe with TSP a week before this project.

I am just dreading this project as I know it's going to take quite awhile to roll this house. Plus I need to remove down spouts and such as well. What a chore that is going to be too!

Spank.

Old 04-06-10, 02:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
Just keep your eye on the goal
and the bragging rites that come with it