Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Painting vs Vinyl Siding - Cost vs Increase Sale Value

Old 04-07-10, 07:59 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We live in a two story house that was build in 69.. It is 1,484 square feet.. We plan to live here probably at least 5 more years.. We are struggling on whether or not to just paint or get vinyl siding...

I really have no idea how much either will be (not even a ball park) but I'm assuming vinyl siding will be at least 2-3x more..

One of the main things I'm wondering is how much does vinyl siding increase the resale value of the home? I mean.. If you pay say $5,000 for siding can you expect to sell it for $5,000 more than what you paid for it (say if that was the only improvement)?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-07-10, 08:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 903 Votes on 829 Posts
If you will only be there 5 yrs, I'd say paint it. And no, you don't recoup 100% of the cost of the siding when you go to resell. I don't think there is ANY improvement that would do that for you unless you are plating things with gold. (only partly joking).

If you are considering getting the vinyl siding professionally installed I think you will be quite surprised at the exorbitant prices of the bids... which will also steer you toward simply continuing to paint, provided the house is well maintained.

Old 04-07-10, 08:28 PM
T
Thanks for the reply!

If we decided to paint... How hard of a job is that to DIY? I've done many DIY so I'm skilled for the most part.. The biggest question I have is for the trim pieces around the garage, some of it look rotted so I'm assuming I would just have to replace those.. What about the peeling? Some spots are peeling off.. Do you sand those down or what before you paint over it?

Old 04-08-10, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 903 Votes on 829 Posts
The biggest pain in the neck is usually getting to those hard to reach areas. If it's one story, you've got it made.

Honestly, scraping the areas that are peeling or loose is still the best method, IMO. Lots use powerwashing, but in all honesty you can still scrape a lot of paint off of a house that has just been powerwashed.

You don't usually want to sand paint due to the issues with lead. And even with scraping, a guy should follow EPA suggestions to protect himself and others from the dangers of lead contamination. Mostly the danger is to young children, but if you did it every day for 20 years it would probably affect you as well. Sanding turns the paint into dust, whereas scraping creates less dust. I suppose a guy could powerwash, then scrape what's left and that would be a good combination.

Yes, rotted trim can be replaced, but if it isn't "too bad" many people will either caulk it, smooth it, and once it's dry paint it... or use some sort of harder filler like Durham's rock hard putty (which is a bear to sand and shape) or Bondo (which is a little easier to sand). Most trim replacement isn't difficult, except for window sills, which can be pretty complicated if you need to replace the entire thing. Often it is just the sill nose that rots and sometimes you can just cut that front portion off and replace it. With brickmould, it's best to replace a whole piece, rather than just do a 6" piece near the bottom. Sometimes replacing trim can open up a whole new can of worms, so use your judgment there.

And be sure to put primer on all the areas where you have bare wood!

Old 04-08-10, 06:35 PM
D
If you are paying someone else to paint or to install siding, the vinyl will be cheaper. Paying a pro to paint will cost way more. DIY painting will cost less.

Old 04-12-10, 06:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't know that painting by a pro would be more expensive than having vinyl siding installed. Labor prices vary greatly in different locales. The only way to know for sure is to get a few bids - both for painting and siding.

Painting can be a diy job and you should be able to do a decent job with a little advice. The 2 main things are proper prep and using the correct coatings. Most any diyer with a little guidance can do a good paint job. The advantage a pro has is knowledge [which we can supply here] and speed [your on your own with that]

Old 04-12-10, 11:08 AM
G
painting

YEP.... proper prep!!!!! !!! If You dont do that, you could be looking at painting it again in 5 years just about when you decide to sell your house. Get at least 3 bids from each pro siding/paint if you dont DIY and check their references.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: