OSB Wall Sheathing

Old 04-22-10, 06:07 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OSB Wall Sheathing

When nailing up wall sheathing to a new wood frame wall can to sheating be nailed to the top of the first top plate or must it cover both top plates?

Old 04-22-10, 06:19 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Not a code person, but the two plates have a habit of not fitting perfectly when built and leaking worse as the wood dries. IMO, if you add some construction adhesive or caulking to seal that seal and all butt ends, then securing to just one plate member should be fine. Of course, I add construction adhesive to the framing as the osb is applied as well.

Bud

Old 04-22-10, 08:24 AM
D
Originally Posted by Bud9051
Not a code person, but the two plates have a habit of not fitting perfectly when built and leaking worse as the wood dries. IMO, if you add some construction adhesive or caulking to seal that seal and all butt ends, then securing to just one plate member should be fine. Of course, I add construction adhesive to the framing as the osb is applied as well.

Bud
Thanks Bud. As far as leaks go I didn't think that was an issue since the top will be covered with a soffit. I like your adhesive idea though. I've never seen framers down here in phila. do that.
Steve

Old 04-22-10, 09:12 AM
B
I use an infrared camera when testing a home for air leaks, and between the wood itself conducting past the insulation and air leaking between and aroung framing members, the tops of all walls, that ceiling corner, always show excess heat loss. Another trick while everything is open, is to install a baffle of any air tight material up over that double header and over the end of the insulation. That prevents wind washing that renders the first several feet of your insulation useless. Also consider mineral wool instead of fiberglass.

Here is a link with other air sealing tips:
http://www.efficiencyvermont.com/ste...ide_062507.pdf

Bud

Old 04-22-10, 01:31 PM
I am not sure where you live or what your building codes are, but the UFBC requires that outside sheathing cover both the top and bottom plate. Good Luck

Old 04-22-10, 02:15 PM
B
Thanks Jack, now I know. a dozen more characters for good measure.

Bud

Old 04-24-10, 05:31 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
During one of the Planet Green episodes, they visted a Habitat for Humanity site. During the show the talked about what they do for air sealing. They go around and seal all those spots that Bud mentioned like the top plates, bottom plates, between any 2 by material that was butted together. They did it all from the inside though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: