Foundation sticks out under siding.

Old 06-13-10, 08:15 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foundation sticks out under siding.

The foundation of my house sticks out under my tongue and groove wood siding by about 2". It appears to have been mortared over to create a smooth surface. The bottom edge of the siding shows a fair amount of water damage.

I plan on fixing or replacing the siding as needed, but I'd like to know what to do to prevent more water damage from affecting the board. I'd thought of putting flashing under the bottom piece of siding, but i was looking for some alternatives to ripping off the siding.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-10, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You most likely won't have to "rip" off the siding, although the bottom run will need to be unzipped from the starter strip. I would definitely install a flashing over the protrusion and allow it to stick up at least 6" higher than the starter strip, reinstall the starter strip and rezip the siding onto it.

Old 06-14-10, 09:59 AM
V
When you say "unzipped" from the starter strip I'm not sure what you mean.

Old 06-14-10, 03:14 PM
The siding is being held to the starter strip by a "cup" of the bottom. Pick up a piece of siding at the store and you'll see what I mean. They will sell a tool that has a red curved handle and is basically a flat 1/4" hook. You can reach under your siding and pull down on the cup and "unzip" the siding. Putting it back on is just the opposite.

Old 06-14-10, 05:17 PM
Um, I thought he said he has tounge and groove WOOD siding

Old 06-16-10, 10:56 AM
V
I see why I am confused. I've no experience with Vinyl siding. My "starter strip" is just a piece of siding nailed to old redwood studs--no sheathing. It's also slightly nested in the concrete, probably someone paved over the new foundation, but as it is I can hardly identify the bottom edge of siding along most of the wall where the foundation sticks out.

Old 06-16-10, 02:44 PM
No, I am the one confused! Sorry about that. I was working too many topics that night. My apologies for getting you on the wrong track. Thanks Delawaresurfman for the catch!!!

Old 06-16-10, 03:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 866 Votes on 797 Posts
I imagine as long as the foundation and masonry protrude beyond the siding you will have moisture wicking up rotting the wood. Even with a moisture break the protruding foundation might allow rain to splash up and keep the bottom of your siding wet.

I have a similar problem on my house. I ended up getting copper used to form gutters and made a custom flashing. I cut it lengthwise into strips and formed them in a vinyl siding break. Basically I moved my siding up several inches and the copper flashing fills the gap. There is a 45 degree angle at the bottom to get out past the foundation and the copper extends several inches up behind the siding. It could be done with aluminum or galvanized steel but the copper looks good and a few hundred dollars worth of material did the whole house.

Old 06-16-10, 04:44 PM
V
Dane, that is a really good idea. I just installed window caps with copper flashing across the front of the house. That's exactly the kind of idea that will tie the whole look together. Plus I think it falls pretty well within my skill set. Thanks!

Old 06-17-10, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
I was going to post a picture but it rained all afternoon. If it's not raining this afternoon when I get home I'll snap a photo and post it.

Old 06-17-10, 05:25 PM
P
Group Moderator

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: