Cleaning spider crap off vynil siding

Old 07-16-10, 04:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning spider crap off vynil siding

Hello. I live in Nova Scotia where we have a lot of spiders. I washed down my siding with some mild dishwasher detergent and water. This did a great job except I cannot seem to get the 'brown' stain of spider dodo off in a number of locations.

I have tried CLR, Windex, Green. but nothing seems to work.

Would it be acceptable to try some lacquer thinner...or maybe some methol hydrate??

There has to be a solution to get this stuff off....

Old 07-17-10, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Don't use lacquer thinner! it will melt the siding

I'd try some laundry detergent and a scrub brush.

Old 07-17-10, 07:53 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you sure that spiders are the culprit? It sounds more like artillary fungus to me. Do you have wood mulch around your foundation plantings?

Google "artillery fungus" for lots of info including prevention and removal.

Old 07-17-10, 08:42 AM
M
Hello guys...no it is definitley spider crap....also...I am thinking about using 'comet' ....is has a bit of an abrasive with bleach...what do you think? Is it safe to use?

Old 07-17-10, 08:53 AM
R
Pressure washer w/ Zep Citrus Cleaner (any orange citrus cleaner should work) removes spider, lizard, frog crap, and stains from mud dauber nests from my vinyl siding . . . occasionally, a stubborn stain such as a black rubber scuff mark is removed using a Scotch Brite scouring pad w/ small amount of Cameo Aluminum & Stainless Steel Cleaner (any similar kind of cleaner such as Comet should work).

Trying to do it w/ a hose and scrub brush will be very time consuming unless you only have a few spots, and wonít remove it as well as high pressure spray. Definitely try a small area of vinyl siding first, but donít be afraid to have a high pressure spray as good quality vinyl siding will not be damaged by it.

Old 07-17-10, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In addition to RobR's suggestion and the other warnings, you could use JoMax, which is formulated for vinyl siding. I'll have to try the citrus stuff. May make the spider crap smell better, anyway

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: