Cardboard found under vinyl siding

Old 07-18-10, 05:19 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Cardboard found under vinyl siding

After an electrician relocated our outside electrical service box, I had small area of siding to repair from where the old box was located.

As I had scraps of the vinyl siding, I went to work and after taking the damaged portions down immediately noticed what appeared to be cardboard from boxes under the siding.

This is a 1963 built house in the Midwest, and only my second home so Iím pretty new to many things. We purchased the house from the flipper and have hit other issues so Iím wondering if this is the last straw.

Anyone have any idea why a siding person would put cardboard underneath vinyl siding? Iím attaching some pictures to this post. From what I can tell there is masonite underneath the cardboard. My fear is this is under the entire house.

Thanks in advance ..

Frustrated new home owner
1.gif - Windows Live

2.gif - Windows Live

Old 07-18-10, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It appears it is a fanfold type materials and obviously HUD approved. Probably not my first choice, but is it really cardboard, or foam?

Old 07-20-10, 07:04 PM
P
not foam

It's defintely not an insulating foam like it should be .. it's defintely cardboard. I've posted on a few other foums and some people have suggested it's probably the box the siding came in.

I'm going to check some other spots to see if he just ran out or screwed me all around.

Old 07-20-10, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
...It's defintely not an insulating foam like it should be...

There is nothing that says insulating foam needs to be used under vinyl siding. As crappy as it may seem, the statement on that cardboard underlayment that says, HUD materials release #1108 means that the material meets the minimum standards that HUD has for that product when used as a siding underlayment.

A "Materials Release" is recognition by HUD that a product is technically suitable for use in HUD financed construction.

The other initials, ICBC, SBCCI, and CMHC stand for various building codes. BOCA stands for Building Officials and Code Administrators.

In your case, the cardboard underlayment was substituted for insulating foam. The only purpose of using ANY underlayment under vinyl siding, is to give the vinyl a flat surface to nail to. It is fine. It might even be waxed to withstand occasional wetting.

Old 07-21-10, 02:31 PM
P
considered it

You know I actually considered that the carboard might an approved item at first, but the sentiment was so strong on some other forums I posted and I wasn't able to find a match for any of the codes on the cardboard I wasn't sure.

Anyone have a good url to confirm the product?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: