scraping 30 yr old wood siding

Old 08-02-10, 09:22 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
scraping 30 yr old wood siding

I live in a harsh climate in Utah and have 30 year old wood siding on my house. It cost $8k to paint the house a few years back and the areas most exposed to the sun are starting to peel again. I've been scraping it, and found that I can easily peel off all the layers of paint plus a thin layer of wood, all at once.

My question: Do I go ahead and scrape the paint, even though a thin layer of wood is coming off too, or is it better to just sand the loose edges to minimize damage to the wood and not scrape at all? The wood is very textured, so sanding is difficult and it's generally not it the best of shape.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 08-03-10, 06:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
How are you scraping where some of the wood comes off with the paint?

As long as enough wood isn't removed to where it compromises the siding, it should be ok...... this isn't masonite siding is it? If so, you don't want to remove the "paper' face! anywhere it's removed - you must use an oil base primer to seal it!

Old 08-03-10, 06:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr
How are you scraping where some of the wood comes off with the paint?

As long as enough wood isn't removed to where it compromises the siding, it should be ok...... this isn't masonite siding is it? If so, you don't want to remove the "paper' face! anywhere it's removed - you must use an oil base primer to seal it!
I'm using a hand scraper. Sometimes I can pick up a piece of loose paint with my hand and peel off a section more than a foot long.

Old 08-03-10, 09:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Do you know what type of siding you have? it isn't normal for part of the siding to come off with the paint. Masonite siding was fairly popular 30 yrs ago but it is very moisture sensitive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: