Cost of 12' section of vinyl and where to buy...

Old 10-05-10, 03:11 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost of 12' section of vinyl and where to buy...

I have 4 pieces of vinyl siding I need to replace (it appears the sun reflected off our windows and caused them to warp).

I'd like to know what the typical cost of a 12' section is (this is just your basic, no frills siding put on a home built by Beezer Homes). Just looking for a ballpark figure so I'll know if they're trying to overcharge me or not.

Also, can anyone recommend a few reputable places to purchase a few pieces from?

Thanks,

Andy

Old 10-05-10, 03:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Can't recommend a place but have a warning for you - vinyl siding can fade, so be very careful about color matching

Neighbor across the street bought a couple boxes of the same stuff already on his house to side a room he added on after two years and the difference was scary. The siding manufacturer could not match the color on the house and ended up footing the bill to have the whole house re-sided

Old 10-05-10, 06:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Siding in D5 or Dutch will run less than $10 a stick on average. Installation is easy. Just remove the offending pieces from top to bottom by unzipping the top bad one and lifting them off the nail heads. Leaving the nail heads in place will ensure proper placement of the new pieces. Easily a DIY job. BUT, you need to fix the cause before you throw money at the siding. Have you addressed the reflection problem yet?

Old 10-05-10, 09:06 PM
H
Yeah, that's one thing we need to work out. I'm getting things together now so I can put them up once we eliminate the problem (which we feel is the front room windows reflecting the sun onto the
siding. The nearest window is maybe only 4' away max).

I do have concerns about the color matching as someone mentioned. That could be an issue, as the house is 9 years old (and I'm certain this is the original siding). Just crossing my fingers they can match the current color (or get pretty damn close).

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-06-10, 07:46 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you sure the siding is permanently warped and not just deformed because it was nailed too tight?

Depending on the source, you may not be able to buy individual pieces of siding. You may end up buying a case. You can buy individual pieces at big box stores but the colors available are very limited.

Matching color will be a problem. There are a couple of ways to solve it. If the warped stuff is in the front of the house you can swap it out using pieces from a less visible part of the house. Even that may not give you a perfect match. The other option is to reside the entire wall. An easy DIY project and fairly inexpensive.

Old 10-06-10, 11:23 AM
H
Wayne, unfortunately, it is warped. one area on each of the four pieces has "waves" in it. Since all four pieces have these deformities in the same area, I'm guessing the sun reflection did it. Luckily, it's on the back side of the house, but we'd still like to replace them if we can find something close in color. I'll let ya know how things work out. Guess worst case, we could do what you recommended and find something close and redo the one side.

Thanks,

Andy

Old 10-07-10, 05:53 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Siding

Wavy condition could possibly be due to expansion where the pieces are too long. How tight are the pieces at each end?

Old 10-07-10, 08:54 AM
H
The pieces have enough play in them. I should have posted pics from the beginning. Maybe
this will clear up what I'm trying to fix:

Thanks,

Andy

Old 10-07-10, 04:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Old 10-07-10, 04:51 PM
H
I did add that link earlier (and did it again), but it's not taking it. Here's the URL:

House pictures by hikerguy1 - Photobucket

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: