Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

How to prepare to reside the house?? Tyvek wrap?? Ridgid foam board??

Old 10-08-10, 04:41 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So we finally had to remove the old wood siding from our 90 yr old house. There was some bees and other things going on. So we see alot of rot here and there which we will repair. And some re- sheathing will be in order.

But then what? Should we just use the tyvek house wrap? I see sometimes they will put up fan fold thin foam insulation on the outside before siding. I also see them putting up ridgid foam panels these days. What is best for my smaller home in the suburbs of Chicago? Tyvek then foam panels? Foam then tyvek??

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-10, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
You would not use the fanfold if you were looking for greater insulation values. Fanfold is just an underlayment that is used to give the siding a flat surface to lay on. If added insulation is what you are after, then this would be the time to do it- either checking to make sure the walls have insulation (a 90 yr old house might not!), and blowing it in through holes drilled in the outside if it needs it- or if it is already insulated, adding 4x8 sheets of foam if you want to add more r-value. But adding foam is certainly not a requirement prior to siding.

I'm not usually a fan of adding foam, since it creates some unique flashing problems, and builds the wall thickness out beyond the trim in some areas. You almost need to own a metal break if you are going to add foam because the edges of it may need to be covered in some places.

Some people add housewrap and then foam, but IMO it's better to do a nice job of installing the foam and then just tape the seams with a compatable tape so that your layer of foam will meet the same standards as a WRB (weather resistive barrier).