Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Attaching Beveled Cedar Siding to Concrete without Furring Strips

Old 01-12-11, 11:49 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

All,
I will be installing stained cedar siding on a new house being built with a walkout basement. The basement walls are 8' poured concrete walls with the back wall being framed. The backwall framing is framed against 8' walls that were not stepped down. I will have a 4' retaining wall for wing walls. I will taper down from the top of the concrete walls at roughly 11.5' from the end wall and taper down to the start of the 4' retaining wall. So i am looking at about 25 SF of siding to secure to the concrete walls. Also on the walkout side, i will need to attach 8LF of Trim boards on both sides of the walkout which will be on the end of the 8" concrete walls. Trim boards will be 1x4's.

How can i attach this without using furing strips. I see no reason to install furring strips for this little area.

Old 01-13-11, 05:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You "may" get by with attaching your trim boards with PL400 or equivalent, just maybe. I would use 6/4 Miratek, mainly because you won't be able to apply your cedar without a substrate. I am assuming this is horizontal 8 1/2" or so siding. With the 6/4 trim installed, you would need to install 1x (3/4) vertical furring strips at 16"oc intervals to catch the siding. I just believe the siding will be too heavy for the vertical pull that will be exerted, not using the strips. Also, using the 6/4 Miratek it will give you the relief you will desire on the edges with the siding being pushed out slightly.

Old 01-13-11, 06:39 AM
B
I was wondering if an adhesive would work. Didnt really know. I was also thinking i could pre drill holes into the concrete and nail them with ring shank nails.

The siding is beveled cedar face nailed to the plywood sheathing and will abut against the 1"x4" outside corner trim board and 2"x2" inside trim board, then a bead of caulk applied where the siding abuts the trim. Furring strips will not be required except as a starter strip at the bottom.

Old 01-13-11, 07:34 AM
I've never tried attaching siding directly to a monolith wall. Not to say it can't be done. It will probably be painstakingly slow as each hole has to be accurately drilled. I would even go as far as to say use something like tapcons to hold it down, as I don't think you will get the holding power from nails, even ring shanked. You will only be drilling into the top part of the siding as the bottom lay over the one below it.
One additional thought, there is a new nailer out made specifically for driving into concrete. I believe Bostitch makes it. You may check into that. I'll keep my ears to the rail and check back.
You're building this house by proxy from Afghanistan, right?

Scratch the above nailing through the top only. You indicate it is beveled cedar. Different animal. Fasteners go through the bottom and through the top of the layer underneath. Gotta think more.

Old 01-13-11, 02:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Won't moisture be an issue if furring strips aren't used

Old 01-13-11, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
You say, "I see no need for furring". Does this mean the cement is flush with the rest of the sheathing? If so, I'm surprised the sheathing turned out flush with the face of the cement... since its common practice to frame to the foundation edge and let the sheathing overlap the cement.

If the cement is not flush with the rest, then you should obviously install furring to make it flush with the sheathing! Like you said, it's only 25 sq ft. Not a lot of furring.

At any rate, you'd probably want to predrill using the smallest masonry bit you can find. (like a 1/8" bit) Then use a galvanized cut masonry nail like these. Not ring shanks.

If the siding is going right onto the cement with no furring, it would help if you put stucco wrap on these walls as a barrier between the wood and the cement. Stucco wrap differs from housewrap in that it provides a drainage plane.

Be sure you backprime all the siding and trim, too.

Old 01-15-11, 07:11 AM
B
Ive only installed Vinyl siding and always nailed it to the sheathing...well over Tyvek housewrap of course. Im installing this according to the Western Red Cedar Lumber Association website Siding, deck, deck design, fencing, gazebos, sheds & pergolas.

Old 01-15-11, 07:19 AM
B
Xsleeper,
I dont know exactly where they framed to. Its my impression that the sheathing is flush with the concrete foundation, although it makes sense that sheathing overlap to allow for drainage. I am currently in Afghanistan so i am not home to see the house being framed. Just kinda going off my assumptions and what ive seen in the past. I will be home in 2.5 weeks to place the basement and garage floors and do siding and soffits, assuming the ktr is far enough along to do start this.

The problem with doing furring strips on "Just" 25sf is that i would have to do them along about 300 SF to make it even. I guess i'll kind of have to assess the situation when i get back and go from there.

Old 01-15-11, 04:05 PM
Can you have someone snap some pix and have them posted on a site such as photobucket.com? Then http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: