I want to run a range hood vent thru my vinyl siding.

Old 01-30-11, 10:55 AM
D
DLH
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I want to run a range hood vent thru my vinyl siding.

As the title says I want to run a vent from my range hood through my vinyl siding. That wall does not have an overhang. I'm not happy with the vents I've seen in stores and on the Internet. They just don't look very weather tight where the vent comes through the siding to me. Can anyone recommend a good one.

DLH

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-11, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. The vents you buy may not be weatherproof. You will have to do the weatherproofing when going through a side wall. First, remove all the siding in the area you will be working in by unzipping it and lifting it off the nail heads. Don't pull the nails. It will give you a precise location to reinstall your siding. When you determine where your hole will be, you will need to build out the hole area with a square of lumber, probably a 1x8 or 10. Cut the hole through the wall and the attached 1x lumber. Flash over the lumber at least 8" and let it protrude over the lip of the lumber for a drip edge. Install sticky window tape on bottom, sides and top, in that order. Band the exterior of the 1x with jchannel with proper drip cuts, then reinstall your siding, cutting it to fit the jchannel. Once your vent is placed through the hole, apply elastomeric caulk to the exit wound, prime and paint the wood.
Now, you sure you don't want to run it out the roof?

Old 02-04-11, 10:01 AM
D
DLH
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand all of your explanation so I guess it's time to put on the thinking cap. Running the vent up thru the roof is an option if I decide I don't like running it thru the wall.

DLH

Old 02-04-11, 12:33 PM
Roof vents, properly installed are good. Trying to "make do" with a rig going through the wall and you miss one piece of flashing, it will cause a leak and you will be in trouble. I am not an advocate of punching a hole in a perfectly good roof, either, but I believe in your case it may be more aesthetically pleasing than to have one staring you in the face. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 02-16-11, 02:43 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
We use a siding block that's made for mounting a meter base and just turn it on it side.
All the siding in that area is removed the holes cut into the siding block for the vent the vent gets 100% silicone behind it, mount the block and 6" wide window self sticking tape around the nailing flages and reapply the siding. Now it's 100% water proof. Doing all the wood stuff and adding all that other stuff is a but mess and a sure way to have a leak.
The bigger siding blocks can be ordered or any real siding supply should have them.

Old 02-16-11, 02:55 PM
But you still ain't got pretty. It's doable, of course, but IMO not having it stare at you is a plus, no matter how you build it.

Old 07-23-12, 07:09 AM
A
Question Advice for mounting exhaust vent

I am trying to install an exhaust vent for a microwave. The old vent does not match up, so I need to adjust the vent that is already on the outside of the house. I've decided to just rip that one out and install a new one correctly.

Is the best thing to use for this a vinyl mounting block? I can't seem to find one the right size, so would one for a meter work?

What is the best color to match off-white siding? They have linen, but I'm purchasing online, so it's difficult to tell the actual color.

Thanks.

Old 07-23-12, 07:29 AM
A
Question exhaust mounting question

I know this is an old thread, but am trying to do the same thing as original poster. I'm going the route of using a meter vinyl mounting block (since that's all I can find that will fit), but am curious if I'm supposed to screw the exhaust vent directly to the outside of the mounting block, or to the black sheathing under the siding? If I attach the exhaust under the siding, then the exhaust overhang will be partially obstructed by the mounting block.

Old 07-23-12, 09:27 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
See if this link helps. You should be able to find the correct parts - flanges and caps at the big box store.

How to Install a Bathroom Vent Fan | Step-by-Step | Ventilation | This Old House - 8

Old 07-23-12, 09:59 AM
A
Thanks, not exactly what I'm looking for. I'm installing a range hood vent, which is larger and different than the bathroom vents.

Old 07-26-12, 02:52 PM
A
installing mounting block

When installing a mounting block, do I need to put j channel around it? I bought a super jumbo that will probably work.

Old 07-26-12, 05:12 PM
Usually, no. They are in two pieces and contain their own channel configuration. Snap it apart, fix the back piece to the wall, cut your siding to fit around it, and snap on the top which will hide your cutting boogers.