Cedar siding over cedar shingles

Old 02-28-11, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cedar siding over cedar shingles

I have a cedar siding that is maybe 50-80 years old. It is worn, and black mostly. I am thinking of putting cedar siding over top of it using vertical strapping over the current siding, and the new siding over the strapping. Is there a problem with this, or should I remove the current siding first?

I figured the strapping would allow air flow between the two, and remove any moisture issues.

Thanks,

Fed

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-11, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I'm just a painter but I would think it would be better to strip the shingles [address any sheeting issues if there are any] install house wrap and then the new siding. You could also add insulation if needed.

Old 02-28-11, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 272 Posts
Yeah, the problem is it builds your siding level way out past any trim on the house. Corner trim, door trim, window trim, etc. Also clearance problems around things that can't be easily removed, like your light meter and conduit/mast, if that's mounted on the house.

Old 03-19-11, 05:41 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Cedar siding is very expencive, will always need maintaince, will turn black over time as you found out, Tends to crack, boring bees just love the stuff.
Now would be the perfect time to change the siding to something else that needs nothing but a pressure washing once in a while.
They sell vinyl siding that looks just like cedar siding.

Old 03-25-11, 06:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit baffled that you'd even think of not stripping them. I used to do (non-vinyl) siding for a living, and XSleeper is, if anything, understating the problems you'd encounter. Stripping down to the sheathing allows you to install some tyvek-- spunbonded polyester olefin infiltration barrier that blocks the passage of O2 and N2 molecules, but allows the passage of the smaller H2O molecules, so as to alleviate moisture problems. It also allows you to replace your window flashing easily, and if you house isn't insulated, it's a good time to blow some in, because you'll be covering all the holes. It will also give you a chance to inspect your sheathing for any rot around the bottom, around windows, at the bottom of the doors, and so on.
And if you strip, you'll also have a lifetime supply of kindling wood and shims, the nice, skinny kind. Aside from their constructions uses, they're great for levelling bookcases and dressers that tip forward in a lot of old houses.