Fascia Covers?

Old 03-17-11, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fascia Covers?

I have replaced rotten wood fascia and need to finish the job. they are 8'' (actual 7.25 or so) I researched fascia covers and find out that there are aluminum and vinyl ones.
I don't know how to do this and which one is better for my application, as you can see in the pictures, the roof is flat and it has a flushing (is it called like this?) drip over the fascia.

Thanks a lot

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Agostomortal; 03-17-11 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-11, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
Before I answer, one question. Did you use pressure treated wood to replace your rotten fascia?

Old 03-17-11, 09:49 PM
Welcome to the forums.

First thing you have to do is get rid of the rotten wood. Sawzall and a chisel, and whatever else is needed --get rid of the old and install new.

"Aluminum or vinyl" -- that is going to require a brake to bend it to fit. Check with your local rental yards and see if you can rent one. Some places have them -- MOST DON'T! Coming up with the aluminum or vinyl itself is easy. Buy it on-line. But at $150/roll plus or minus, you don't want to buy the number of rolls needed and then find out you can't get a brake to deal with it!! (A roll is 24" wide X 50' long.)

Old 03-17-11, 10:57 PM
yes I did, I am not sure if its "pressure treated" but its "treated" as I could see at the store. Someone installed them for me. it's what you can see. I am considering doing the finish (white) and protect the wood at the same time. I thought of paint it but after doing research I came across the covers.
Thanks.

Old 03-17-11, 11:14 PM
the wood is new, I am just looking for an relatively easy and cheap DIY finish to protect the fascia and give it a white finish.
Thanks

Old 03-18-11, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Aluminum fascia cover is the best way to go but you can't use aluminum if it will be in contact with PT wood because it reacts badly with the ACQ that the wood is treated with. If you cover the wood with #30 felt first so that the aluminum does not contact the wood, then it should be okay.

Vinyl fascia sucks, IMO. You can't nail it like you can aluminum. You don't necessarily need a metal brake to put up aluminum fascia cover, since you can get prebent fascia cover in various sizes- 4", 6", 8". All you would be doing is cutting it to length and nailing it on, provided you aren't going to cover your soffits too. The nice thing about the premade aluminum fascia cover is that it usually has ribs rolled into it which gives the fascia cover more rigidity than the stuff you make with a metal brake from a roll of coil. The have rollers that can make ribs in custom bent coil stock, but they aren't very commonly rented.

You could also look into some paints that have a longer warranty, like some of the ones Sherwin Williams has.

Old 03-18-11, 06:46 PM
Don't forget to use aluminum nails for the aluminum facia. Galvinized nails will react with it and then it will just fall off the house.

Old 03-18-11, 09:23 PM
Thanks a lot.
Sorry but what is / you mean by:

PT wood?
"reacts badly"?
ACQ?
#30 felt?

I don't have soffits and not planning to install them.
Thanks again.

Old 03-18-11, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Agostomortal View Post
Thanks a lot.
Sorry but what is / you mean by:

PT wood?
"reacts badly"?
ACQ?
#30 felt?

I don't have soffits and not planning to install them.
Thanks again.
PT wood is Pressure Treated wood. It is infused with chemicals under pressure until saturated. The chemical is is now usually infused with is ACQ (alkaline copper quaternary). The alkaline/copper does not like aluminum. By "reacts badly", I mean the chemicals in the PT wood have the potential to eat the aluminum, causing it to corrode to the point that the aluminum will "rust" and eventually become eaten with holes.

#30 felt stands for 30 pound felt. It is the heavy grade of tar paper / felt paper. Strips of felt paper could be used to separate the PT wood from any aluminum you install, so that the two never touch.

Old 03-22-11, 10:33 AM
Thanks a lot!.
How do I deal with the flushing (the part that hangs from the flat roof) and how to install the felt paper?

Old 03-22-11, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
It's flashing, specifically gutter apron, from the way it looks. Your fascia cover just slips under the gutter apron. Nothing special.

If you wish to use the prebent aluminum fascia covers over the fascia that is PT, I'd staple on some strips of #30 felt, (using a hand stapler) then just slip the fascia cover under the gutter apron and nail it on. As mentioned, you will want to use white aluminum trim nails. I've also used stainless steel nails without any problems.

Keep in mind that you don't need to put felt paper up anyplace where the wood has not been replaced with PT wood.

Also, when you nail, you want to be very careful with your hammer since the aluminum will dent easily. Tap the nails carefully until the are barely snug then STOP! Otherwise it will dimple the metal and look bad. For a newbie, you might want to predrill your nail holes with the smallest drill bit, a 1/16" bit, just to make a pilot hole.

Old 03-23-11, 11:08 AM
Well thanks again!..That's all I need to know, as soon as I have an open weekend I will do it and try to post the results!..
Many thanks again...if you have any questions about music (that's what I do for a living) let me know