Woodpecker holes in Cedar siding

Old 03-20-11, 12:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Woodpecker holes in Cedar siding

Whats a good method for repairing Woodpecker holes in Cedar siding? The Woodpecker has 2 holes about 2 inches in diameter next to each other close to the roof peak (2 story home) that goes all the the way through the siding and fiber board. My garage is attached right below the holes, I have a steep pitched roof so there is no way to get a ladder up to the holes, so I looked up through my attic trap door and can see the holes, so my plan is to repair from the inside. My plan is to take a drill with a 2 in saw blade and drill out the holes and plug with a Cedar round the same size with glue. Do you think this will work or does anybody have a better idea?

Old 03-20-11, 02:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have done similar repairs with knot holes, but never from the inside. How do you propose to get to the cedar? In addition, the circles you cut will need to be done on a band saw and sanded to the proper diameter. The plug you take out of the siding will be too small, by 1/8" due to bit thickness.

Old 03-20-11, 02:48 PM
R
What if I went in the attic and screwed a board over the holes and then from the outside fill in the holes with some kind of caulk or compound. I am very limited what I can do from the outside because my roof is so steep,I I would have to lay on the roof with a rope and only use one hand over the roof edge to fill in with caulk but I think I could do it. Do you think this is the best way or do you have another way of fixing the holes? Is there a way to fix the hole from the outside?

Old 03-20-11, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With an approved tether and harness, maybe, but I wouldn't recommend it as a diy project. Caulk won't work in a large hole as you describe. Patching the inside first is the way to go. Filling the inside cavity left over with a caulk is good, but the outside piece will need to be placed in delicately so as not to compress the caulk/silicone. A pro will set up a stage, possibly from scaffolding across your peak of the garage and reach it from there.

Old 03-21-11, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I agree securing a piece of wood or styrofoam to the inside is the best way to start. What I've done when inside access is limited is to take the expanding foam insulation and fill the hole from the outside [be careful as excess can be difficult to remove] and then dress up the repair with caulk or rock hard putty. Obviously the repair would need to be painted/stained when done.

Is it feasible to use a long extension ladder resting on the ground but laying on the roof itself? You'd probably want someone to hold the bottom of the ladder in place.

Old 03-21-11, 06:42 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
A good friend had a similar issue with those house wreckers and his first approach was to cover the holes to chase them away. Wrong! in some places they went right through the boards he put up and in others they simply started new holes. He has cedar clapboard but has never figured out what he did to become the target of their aggression. He finally just assumed they like cedar. Eventually they went away, but until yours are gone, you may have to deal with a lot more holes. Sorry, no solution in mind, other than eliminating the source of the problem first.

Bud

Old 04-12-11, 05:52 AM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Just one of the dozens of reason I hate Cedar siding. The most likly reason the wood peckers are tearing up the wood is because there's been boring bees laying larvie in the wood. Do you see any perfectly round holes in the siding about 3/8 in diam.?
You can fill and patch all you want o but if the larvies still in there there going to bore another hole to come out or the wood peckers going to be back looking for them still in the hole.
If we have to install Cedar we pretreat it with boric acid mixed with hot water. It kills any insects that trys to eat it by dehydrating them.
The right way to fix this would be to replace the whole section of siding.
If someone got the siding up then there has to be a way to remove that section and replace it. Someone with a longer ladder.
At least twice a year we get to go over eaten up cedar siding with new vinyl or James Hardee siding because of this problum.

Old 07-11-13, 01:41 PM
D
Patch Cedar siding with Vinyl Concrete Patch

When you're ready to patch the holes left by the woodpeckers, try Vinyl Concrete Patch. It's easy to mix, apply and paint. The patches are nearly invisible when the paint has dried. I've had some two inch circular patches that are over 15 years old and still going. None of them have seperated from the cedar or required replacement. The woodpeckers were happy to peck though other materials I tried, but concrete apparently is a bit much for them to handle. The patch material will work well on knot holes as well. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: