Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Help with installing Composite Paneling on patio area.

Old 03-28-11, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I've installed a new French style Patio door and removed a window on my patio. Right now they are covered over with plywood. The siding on the entire house is like 60 year old aluminum that no one has, so I was searching around for an alternative and found this:
96 in. Composite Panel Siding - #24668 k.f. at The Home Depot

1. I know this works just like wood so it's nice and easy to install, but do I use Wood/Drywall screws or Deck screws or Finishing nails to attach it to the existing plywood?

2. Then because these overlap one another, do I put a bead of silicone in each overlap?

3. Can I just use wood filler to cover up the screw holes?

4. Because this is just primed, I believe I have to paint it... but do I? I actually already like the color it is.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 05:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Composite siding is just another word for hardboard siding. If it is kept perfectly painted it may hold up for a while especially if you live in the desert but once you get any significant water infiltration it turns to mush. You might want to read this and Google for more information. Status of Class Action Suits involving Composite Sidings

Cement siding would be a far better choice or even T1-11 plywood siding.

Old 03-28-11, 07:08 PM
Here is an Engineered Wood Siding:

Shop SmartSide 3/8" x 8' x 4' Engineered Wood Siding at Lowes.com

Now what is the difference between this Engineered wood and the Composite?

The t1-11 is all Untreated... I thought any outdoor wood needed to be treated?

Old 03-28-11, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Engineered wood and composite are wood "products". Sort of like buying cheese and cheese "food" product. T1-11 is not treated because you paint it. It has already been suggested, but cement board (Hardie) is an excellent product, holds paint well, comes primed, easy to install, and impervious to little animals.

Old 03-29-11, 09:05 PM
Integraoligist,

What you posted a pic of is an OSB based siding. It comes primed -- the final finish is up to you. (You paint it with an exterior latex paint and KEEP IT PAINTED!!)

To install it, no, you DON'T put anything in the joint where 2 panels overlap. The joint becomes sealed once you paint the wall.

It is installed with 8d galvanized nails, nailed FLUSH, not countersunk. Not screws, and CERTAINLY not finish nails. You need the nail heads to hold it in place!

Compare the price of what you're talking about with the price of Hardie, then go with the Hardie. That's a cement fiber board -- it comes with something like a 50 year warranty, and will outlast you, me, and Larry combined!!

Old 03-29-11, 09:11 PM
I've been looking up the Hardie at the stores sites and the only thing that comes up is Hardie Shingles. No 4x8 sheets or anything. Are these the only way they come?

Old 03-29-11, 09:51 PM
Search James Hardie: World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard.

Click on the tab for exterior. Plank, panel, shingles, ... If the store you've been looking in doesn't have it, FIND A DIFFERENT STORE!!

Sorry -- I lied about the 50 year warranty -- it's only 30.

Old 03-30-11, 04:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Then you can take me out of the longevity spectrum . Yeah, it comes in 4x8 sheets and is readily available here at big orange, but better lumber yards will carry it as well.

Larry

Old 03-30-11, 09:57 AM
Made a fair share of money from repairing hardboard siding. After a few years if it isn't painted every few months on the bottom it turns to mush and bows out. You can't nail it back because the nails just pull through. Of course the bottom edge also flakes away and looks like it has been chewed.

The really sad thing here is on new construction the contractor often puts brick on the front and sides and then composite crap on the back and gables.

Now in all fairness if it is painted often it may hold up for quite awhile but given the number of law suits and personal observations I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 03-30-11, 11:48 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
I would also suggest not using any form of sheet goods. Why not go with vinly siding that's the same exposure as the siding you have now so all the walls will match.
I also agree about the Hardee panels falling apart. Bring up there web site and down load the instrutions on installing. It can not be installed any closer then 4" of any solid surface. Plus it's a real pain to handle without breaking, can not be repaired if damaged without it showing, will need to be painted.
T-111 will rot out at the bottom.

Old 03-30-11, 12:20 PM
Vinyl would be OK but it need a substrata. I'd suggest plywood though OSB might be OK.