vinyl siding over a wet house?

Old 04-04-11, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vinyl siding over a wet house?

We are getting new vinyl siding on our house. Today they are tearing off the old siding. It is suppose to rain. Is it ok for them to put up the new siding in the rain over a wet house? Under the siding is what they call a house wrap. We also have Celotex under that.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-11, 07:04 AM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
If the Celotex is foil faced I would not want moisture trapped behind it. You are in cold country so your vapor barrier, if one is used should be on the inside. If rigid insulation is added to the outside, there are guidelines that specify how much you need to add (how thick) to prevent moisture condensation inside your walls. I'm guessing, but PA should be around 2" minimum. With the foil facing, especially when taped up, it will act as a high performance vapor barrier. ie, no drying to the outside.

Some would even question the need for the house wrap, as the foil surface will prevent any moisture from passing through which is what the house wrap is supposed to allow. I still like using the house wrap to protect the occasional cut or hole in the foil surface, but don't be misled into thinking it is there to let the house breathe.

IMO, make them wait for a dry day and make sure the installation meets your local code requirements for foil faced foam on the outside.

Bud

Old 04-04-11, 07:48 AM
The Celotex is what was originally under the old siding. It will stay on. The workers are putting on the house wrap and new siding on top of the Celotex. If it rains, the Celotex should protect the house from moisture, but are you saying that the wrap shouldn't be put on if the Celotex is wet?

Old 04-04-11, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
As I read the question, the celotex is under the housewrap. That being the case, it doesn't matter if it's raining cats and dogs when they put up the vinyl siding. Also, housewrap is breathable, so it really doesn't matter if the Celotex is wet either. I'd leave him alone and let him do his job.

Old 04-04-11, 11:44 AM
Thanks to both of you for your insights!