Siding--Matching Outside corners

Old 04-07-11, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Siding-Lining up Panels

My house has only one small wall to side in the front on the second floor--right above the front covered porch. I sided this wall first. Now I am doing the side wall and working my way up to the level of the front wall. How can I be sure the panels on the side wall will line up with the front wall panels--(I am using 9 inch dutchlap)--I was thinking of measuring down from the very bottom of the front walls bottom panel and using a measurement that will divide by 9 and placing my starter strip at that point on the side wall. Is this the way to go? Please help. I'd hate to start the course and after going up about 20 feet not having panels on front and side wall match.

Last edited by mcusumano; 04-07-11 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-11, 06:09 PM
I got the panels to line up on adjoining walls by trial and error with scrap pieces. But there must be an easier way to do it.

Old 04-07-11, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
The first thing I do when I go to side a house is establish a level line around the house to use as a reference line. I wrap the house with a mason's line, about face high. Support it with nails at the corners. Get it as level as you can, then do some measuring- measure down to the bottom of the siding all around, and measure up to the soffit. Measure off the window heads or sills, and see what it would take to make things line up and still be as level as possible. You can use a line level, but a water level (a long clear plastic tube filled with water, and golf tees plugging both ends) works better if you have two people and want things to really be level.

I can't say that I always put siding on "dead level", since sometimes putting siding on level will really make a crooked house look even more crooked. So it just depends on how true the house is.

Basically though, once you've established a line around the house, you measure down to mark where your starter strip will go. And if you have areas where starter strip won't work, because it's too high or low, then you either need to adjust that starting point up or down.... or if that's not possible, you start those other areas in a utility-j or finish trim + j.

If you have a 1 story ranch, the easiest thing to do is to just measure down from the soffit, provided the soffit is fairly level all the way around.

Old 04-08-11, 04:06 AM
Thanks again XSleeper. My starter strip has to start about 4 inches high on the right side of the side wall and in order to maintain a level starter strip the starter strip drops along the wall as it goes to the right leaving about 1 inch above the original insulbrick. But I am going to keep the starter strip at this spot and just cover the exposed insulbrick below the starter strip with a piece of flashing. the siding will be straight and will line up with upper front wall panels. Best I can do.

Thanks again!

Old 04-08-11, 09:15 AM
Putting up a level line had the siding looking crooked along windows on side wall. I just, finally, put the bottom edge of the starter strip along the bottom edge of the last row of the insulbrick and it looks perfectly straight along the walls and all panels line up on both sides of all windows. Sometimes you do have to follow the lines of the house to make the siding look right. Thanks again XSleeper!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-11, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Sounds like you're getting the hang of it!