Remove and repair stucco system siding

Old 05-01-11, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Remove and repair stucco system siding

HELP!! Am new to DIY and have an urgent question.
I had my house remodeled in 1998. The original siding was asbestos/slate shingles which go to asbestos powder when broken. I had a "stucco system" applied to the whole house to "encase" the shingles. have had problems from day one but the major problem has occured within the past 2 to 3 months. I have SHEETS of stucco 6 feet long and 3 feet high falling off my house and there are severe cracks on all four sides. The insurance says it is substandard work so they may not cover all of it.
My question is how do I remove the damaged stucco? How difficult is it to put real stucco (not the system) back on? I am not experienced but am willing to give it a try. Then if it falls off it is on me!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-11, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with your insurance company because, dollars to donuts, it sounds like Bargain Benny you hired for a "stucco system" skipped right past the part about using reinforcing mesh (it used to be "chicken wire.") If not, then he certainly didn't install it with sufficient fasteners to hold the weight of the EIFS. What you call real stucco doesn't hold a candle to modern EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finishing System) when the EIFS is installed correctly.

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but initial price is the least useful gauge for picking a contractor. Now, you will wind up spending two to three times what the job should have cost in the first place.