house wrap over 2x4's no sheathing

Old 05-25-11, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
house wrap over 2x4's no sheathing

Our house has no sheathing, just ceder lapsiding nailed across the old 2x4's. The old siding is old and pithy. My idea is to do one side at a time, removing old siding, wrapping with that good fabric type wrap, and installing tounge and groove carsiding. My question is can I install that wrap over the 2x4's. I don't want to mess with fanboard or building out my window frames. ,,,,,For some reason, a lot of homes in my area have no sheathing, just lapsiding over the 2x4's. The interior walls are plastered over this solid 7/8" lath and that stuff is hell to tear out.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-11, 06:59 PM
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Hi rebel, it is hard to pass up a perfect opportunity to add some extra insulation, but that is your call. New wall insulation would be a help, depending upon what is there. But the number one improvement you can make is a good air seal. Especially since you do not have a layer of sheathing. Fiberglass behind clapboards is about as good as nothing, cold air moves right through it. Install an air barrier (not a vapor barrier) and suddenly you r-value is back. The house wraps are designed to be an air barrier and not a vb, so they are the perfect item. Th only caution is the installation which usually tears all kinds of holes in it. Be neat and seal it to the studs, at least top and bottom. I use construction adhesive in the large tubes.

Bud

Old 05-26-11, 01:45 PM
Thanks bud, our house is in northwest illinois, and the house was recently gutted and insulated, and that made a huge differance. I insulated the walls and did a very nice neat job, but I never used adhesive.,,,,, Do you think my plan of housewrapping and tounge and groove siding is a decent plan or would it be better to build out the windows, fanboard,wrap and do vynil siding. I want to get this job done fast, and tounge and grove doesn't have to be layed center stud, and it will be hard for water to get through it. It also takes less skill to do my idea, cause that j-channel looks like like crap if not done right.

Old 05-26-11, 02:03 PM
The tongue and grove will leak air like a sieve. Even with the house wrap over the studs and glued, the house wrap will billow in and out with the wind resulting in a bellows effect that pumps your expensive inside air out to mother nature. Vapor barrier to the (warm) inside, insulation, rigid air barrier, and a drainage plane just under your siding. House wrap is designed to block water and air, yet pass moisture to allow drying to the outside. What you are missing is the 1/2" layer of plywood or osb which forms a great air barrier when sealed at the seams.

If you install a layer of plywood, check local codes to be sure it is thick enough.

As for tongue and grove vs vinyl, they will both pass a lot of air, T&G perhaps less.

Not sure what your windows look like, but I've seen them framed with the white plastic trim to make up for added thickness under the siding. I added a lot of thickness to mine, but also replaced the windows. However, I could have reused the old ones except the boss wouldn't have it. I then added jam extensions and new trim on the inside and everyone is happy.

Bud

Old 05-26-11, 04:05 PM
So that's why contractors do the fanboard, wrap and vynil siding right over the old material. If I install plywood, do I go around the window casings or do I remove the window casings and re-install them over the plywood? Building out the windows, fanboarding and vynil is starting to sound like the best method.

Old 05-26-11, 08:25 PM
What about T-11 siding? Can I use the wrap under that? And if I use the T-11 over housewrap, and then decide to do vynil a few years down the road, what kind of material would I put under the siding?

Old 05-26-11, 08:50 PM
The fanboard I'm thinking of really isn't that rigid, although obviously better than just wrap. Vinyl needs something solid behind it, the T&G does not. The T-11 would work and go up fast. Down the road anything could be added over it, assuming it meets any thickness requirements.

If you can pull the windows and re-trim inside, then pulling them out over the plywood/t-11 would seem the best. Then you can flash them properly and even space them out a bit extra (if needed) if you know you will be adding other siding.

Bud

Old 05-26-11, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
T-111 siding is a good option, as is any siding that comes in a 4x8 sheet form. I know our local Menard's has a couple of siding options in sheet good form. There is even cement siding that comes in sheet form: Siding - Fiber Cement Siding - CertainTeed

Old 05-30-11, 08:14 AM
Thank's for the advice Ironhand. I love the idea of siding with big sheets, but the only problem is that it has to be installed vertically. Gosh, I with there was a product that could be installed in large sheets that had a lap siding look to it. I just hate the idea of all this j-channel, fanboard etc.

Old 05-30-11, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by rebeljeep View Post
TGosh, I with there was a product that could be installed in large sheets that had a lap siding look to it. I just hate the idea of all this j-channel, fanboard etc.
Did you look at that link? I think you will find what you want there.

scratch that. I took a better look and realized the lap isn't offered as sheets. Sorry.