Vinyl Siding Cuts

Old 06-12-11, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Siding Cuts

I am adding an overhang for a carport off of my existing garage and it will be built along a "bumpout" of the house. My inside rafter will be nailed to the bumpout, will extend out 5' further and would like to know how to cut the Vinyl Siding Outside corner piece of the bumpout when i cut the vinyl away when attaching that last rafter to the house. Just seems like there is a way to cut this outside corner piece so water cant penetrate. I know caulking will be needed at some point. Is there a proper way to cut this vinyl? Are there any sites that show this cut? Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-11, 06:39 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Siding

Show us a photo so we can better understand you question.

Old 06-16-11, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 304 Votes on 277 Posts
Caulking alone will not keep water out of vinyl siding. You will need to remove siding, and install a metal flashing along the top of the roof and behind the housewrap/foam fanfold. As for the corner, you might be able to leave it and cut it in place but again, you would need to flash it before installing any framing up against it.

In a rainstorm, massive amounts of water can be wind driven into the corner post, where it gets behind the siding and runs down the corner and housewrap/fanfold. This is why any flashing has to be behind the housewrap/fanfold.

If you know exactly where the corner needs to be cut, I would mark it out and then make the cuts with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a 1/16" thick abrasive wheel.