Installing Vinyl Siding Where Side Wall is Brick

Old 06-12-11, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Vinyl Siding Where Side Wall is Brick

I am replacing the 50 year old aluminum siding on the front of my house with vinyl siding. The side walls of my house are brick. The aluminum siding butts up against a 1X4, running vertically, nailed into the brick at the front corners. I have been told that I need to leave the 1X4s in place and attach the J-channel to it since vinyl can't touch brick. Is that right? Is there a special corner post I should be using? What is the correct way to install the siding in this situation? The 1X4 is rotted at the bottom and has to be replaced anyway.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-11, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 272 Posts
I'm not quite picturing your situation, if you wanted to clear things up you could post a picture. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

I would just guess that the 1x4 could be removed. I would also guess that it is covering up the gap that exists between the brick and the sheathing. They do make vinyl trim that could be used to replace that 1x4, but basically you will probably be installing a vertical j-channel for your siding to terminate into.