Vinyl siding over T1-11 vertical siding

Old 06-17-11, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vinyl siding over T1-11 vertical siding

I have recieved multiple conflicting opinions on this one so a few more can't hurt. I currently have t1-11 verticle plywood siding on my home and due to the elements typical of the upper midwest, the siding is in dire need of some TLC. The structural integrity appears relatively sound, but it needs painted (which means repairing, sanding, priming - lighter paint over existing dark paint - and final painting.) This seems like a lot of work and was wondering if installing vinyl siding would be the preferred method. To the problem at hand - the two story home has t1-11 on the upper half overlapping the t1-11 on the bottom half of the house. Was wondering if: 1) Could I use furring strips on the bottom half to create a level plane to install vinyl siding? 2) Do I need to install house wrap or can I install the vinyl right on top of the t1-11 (and furring strips)?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-11, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 302 Votes on 275 Posts
1). Yes

2). Yes, install housewrap. Unless you don't mind your t1-11 rotting where it gets wet behind your vinyl siding.

Old 06-18-11, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Be aware you will be crowding the exterior molding of your doors and windows, unless the T1-11 was installed prior to molding. Just something to keep an eye on.

Old 07-13-11, 04:18 AM
Use 1" foam

Instead of furring strips I would recommend using 1" foam on bottom, this will allow a full even wall and add a little r -value.
Yes install tyvek house wrap or 30# felt.
Tape the seams.
IF your siding hangs out past the doors and windows after installing the siding, you can caulk the J-chanell.
If you don't like the look you can always build them out and wrap them with aluminium.

Old 07-13-11, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'd never "caulk" ill fitting plastic siding pieces. Make them fit right the first time by building the molding out past the potential siding profile for a proper fit to begin with. Do this before you even think of installing the siding.

Old 07-16-11, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I'd never "caulk" ill fitting plastic siding pieces. Make them fit right the first time by building the molding out past the potential siding profile for a proper fit to begin with. Do this before you even think of installing the siding.
For a home owner to install there siding, and needing assistance with it. They are some what clue less as to what we are talking about.

If the OP is not going to build out the windows and doors, there are 2 options to stop water penetration.
1) Back caulk the trim to the wall. *** Recommended
2) Face caulk when done. If you are a good caulker this seals the small gap from door to j-channel.

I personally suggest building out the and wrapping with pvc coil. Then that takes us to another issue of how to wrap the doors and windows.