Vertical steel siding, corners on house

Old 07-16-11, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vertical steel siding, corners on house

We are installing Edco vertical steel siding on our house. We just started after doing a lot of research on how to do it. There is not a lot of information out there and Edco doesn't have an installation guide that we could find. Our problem is: The siding is 12" wide and has a nailing strip on one side and the other side locks into the previous piece. When you reach a corner and have to cut the nailing strip off, there is nothing to hold the siding to the house except where it locks on. There is J-Channel or a corner bracket that the cut piece fits into, but it is very loose. Is there something we're missing here? Please help! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-11, 05:44 PM
Are you not putting corner trim over the corners? Something similar to this...Corner and Gable Trim

This is screwed to the corner on the outside edge on each side with screws that are visible. Maybe you do not wish for screws to show so therefore this would not work.

Old 07-16-11, 06:01 PM
We do have corner trim. There is a piece that screws onto the house and then another pieced snaps onto this and covers all the screws. We don't want any screws to show, actually it's nailed as that is what was recommended. I am getting frustrated as I can't find any info. It can't just hang there without any support except where it's snapped together. I can't find any other trim piece from the company that would do the job.

Old 07-16-11, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 232 Votes on 214 Posts
If I understand you right, you want a finish trim inside the corner to accept the cut edge. The finish trim is attached inside the corner and then the siding slips in and hides the fasteners. Depending on the profile of siding you are using, you might need to shim the finish trim out so that once you slide the siding in, the siding lays at the right level. A few dime sized dots of silicone on the interlock every few feet is all you need to hold it on there. Some guys will put a few colored trim nails through the siding to hold it, I prefer the silicone.

Old 07-16-11, 08:41 PM
The silicone sounds like a good idea on the interlock. I think we will try it. The board and batten siding is flat against the wall where it goes behind the corner trim and the corner trim sticks out about an inch, so the siding is just flopping around in there. We can't find any type of trim that would hold it flat again the wall. We were thinking of cutting the nailer strip off a piece of J-channel so it is more like a U and putting it in the corner channel backwards, holding it in place with silicone. The only worry is that you're supposed to allow the steel to "move" with the temperature changes and I'm not sure silicone will let it move enough.

Old 07-16-11, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 232 Votes on 214 Posts
Like I said, you want a "finish trim". It is a tightly hemmed j-shaped piece.

Silicone stretches 400%. you do not have THAT much movement with steel siding.