Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Mildew on my siding, what should i do to clean it off?

Old 07-17-11, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Heya guys,

I was planning on pressure washing my siding, but the north side of the house has what looks to be mildew on it an i guess pressure washing wouldn't be enough... is there something i should clean it with first before pressure washing? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-11, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Use a light concentration of bleach and water and spray it on the siding, followed by a rinse with the pressure washer. That should take care of the mildew. Cover any plants you want to keep prior to the cleaning with plastic or tarps.

Old 07-17-11, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Be careful with the pressure washer. On vinyl it can blast off the "glossy" surface layer...though from the looks of that pic...it shouldn't be an issue...prob not much surface left. And you want to use low pressure and spray at a downward angle is possible.

I had good luck using a spray on car wash product that fits on a hose....seemed to restore some shine after the cleaning.

Old 07-17-11, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
I'd use a bit heavier concentration of bleach/water than Larry - 30-40% for washing vinyl, 50% for most anything else. I like to wet the siding and any vegetation that isn't being covered up, spray the bleach/water solution on with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse with the pressure washer. There are also commercially prepared cleaners that are more user and environment friendly. As Vic mentioned you need to be mindful of the pressure spray so you don't force the water behind the siding or into the attic.

Old 07-17-11, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
I'd use a bit heavier concentration of bleach/water than Larry - 30-40% for washing vinyl, 50% for most anything else. I like to wet the siding and any vegetation that isn't being covered up, spray the bleach/water solution on with a pump up garden sprayer, let it set but not dry and then rinse with the pressure washer. There are also commercially prepared cleaners that are more user and environment friendly. As Vic mentioned you need to be mindful of the pressure spray so you don't force the water behind the siding or into the attic.
Do you have any examples of those commercial cleaners?

Old 07-18-11, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've used Krud Kutter, but a google search turned up a group of things, et. al: Vinyl Siding Wash - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at Nextag - Price - Review