Wood filling?

Old 07-22-11, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood filling?

I have a front porch cover that extends from the house using 3 2x8's every 24 inches and they are boxed in with 1/2 inch wood (don't know what kind of wood.) Anyways, termites have gotten into a few of the 2x8's and done some damage. It's a major job to replace 2x8's. Until I decide to either start over or tear down, is there a product that I can use to fill the damage? Something that can maybe applied with a caulking gun? Spreading putty into the damaged wood will not work very well. Need something that will be easier to apply. Damage is chipped away and termites are gone...and I know this is not proper repair but I need something that I can use to fill, patch up, and paint until I have more time to either tear apart and redo or tear down completely. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-11, 02:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
There a fiber glass repair kits but they are putty knife stuff. Not sure about anything out of caulk gun.I have used the fiber glass about 8ears ago and still there.

Old 07-22-11, 05:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 140 Votes on 125 Posts
You might make it look a little better with caulking although a wood filler would have a better chance of making the damage disappear. Are the 2x8s still sound enough to support the structure?

A pic or two might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 07-22-11, 05:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Minwax makes a wood filler that is epoxy based. Not plug and play, but you mix it and go to work. You have about 15 minutes to use what you mix before it gets rock hard. Makes excellent repairs that last longer than the surrounding wood. But, as Marksr said, pictures would be a plus.