Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

2 queations about siding job -- Fiberboard Sheathing & CertaWrap

2 queations about siding job -- Fiberboard Sheathing & CertaWrap

Old 08-19-11, 01:50 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2 queations about siding job -- Fiberboard Sheathing & CertaWrap

Tackling another neighbors vinyl siding job and we see the sub is 1/2" fiberboard underneath Masonite siding. Research makes fiberboard seem like a good alternative in that it has (to some extent) both sound deadening and insulation properties. What I'm wondering is, if not water damaged, are there any negatives to using this under vinyl siding?

Secondly, just got back from The Roof Center and found they now carry Certainteed CertaWrap. As it looks to have been released as recently as Q4 of last year I can find no reviews (neither tech nor practical). Anyone had a chance to use it? Looks very much like Tyvek but has a nice loose filament (fiberglassy) backing that should do well in keeping it just off the surface of the sheathing. A 9'x150' bolt sold for $150.
Certainteed Certawrap Brochure

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-11, 07:31 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upon additional research I see Certainteed trademarked "CertaWrap" on 7/19/2011 but I also find older documentation that talks about "Typar HouseWrap/CertaWrap". Was Typar maybe acquired by Certainteed and this housewrap is really nothing "new"?
Typar HouseWrap/Certawrap NRC Evaluation

Cheers!

Old 08-21-11, 12:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
House wrap is nothing new. We've been using Typar forever it seems like. It is always good to have that type barrier to allow the house to breathe but to keep the moisture from infiltrating. Certainteed's product is quite similar, I am sure.