Nailing Cement Fiber Plank Siding

Old 08-26-11, 01:27 PM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Nailing Cement Fiber Plank Siding

What is the recommended air nailer for blind nailing cement fiber plank siding?

Also, what nails should be used?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-11, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 310 Posts
Depends on the brand. When you read Maxiplank's instructions, I don't think any siding nailers are approved by them for blind nailing, only roofing guns with larger diameter shanks and heads. But you didn't say if you are blind nailing or face nailing. James Hardie also defines exactly what size of nail to use, but they allow smaller diameter nails, your standard siding nails. You should be able to look up the size nail specified by the mfg.

I have a Makita AH611, and a PC Coil200 (now discontinued). Others use the Hitachi NV65AH. I think those model numbers are right, unless my brain is currently inebriated.

As for nails, stainless are best but usually cost prohibitive. Hot dipped galvanized ring shank are 2nd best. Some don't like the Bostich nails but I haven't had any problem with them. I definately don't like smooth shanks, ring shank are best. I used some with some sort of cement coating once, and liked them. Not sure where I picked them up... probably out in the sticks somewhere.

As for length, 2 1/2" is usually what you see in stores, but they are way too long for siding nails. Usually they are being driven thru 5/8" of siding, 1/2" of sheathing and need to penetrate into 1" of framing. 2" or 2 1/4" is just right for most nailing. If you are nailing on thicker trim then you need the 2 1/2".

Old 08-27-11, 04:58 AM
W
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
recommended air nailer for blind nailing
Blind nailing is recommended by James Hardie for their product.

Thank you, Sleeper, for your help.

Old 08-27-11, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 310 Posts
Yeah, when you blind nail, your nail is going through about 3/8" of siding, usually 1/2" of sheathing... and the rest it into the stud.... so if you got 2 1/2" nails, that would mean that your nail is going 1 5/8" deep into the stud! I worry that's too deep and might happen to hit an electrical wire or a drain pipe, or a water pipe- in a 2x4 wall. And the model of nailer I have is AN611. But there are plenty of guys out there who use roofing guns and 1 3/4" - 2" nails to blind nail. The thing to worry about is that in high winds the planks can "flutter" in the wind. A larger head, like on a roofing nail helps hold the siding down, while a small head can eventually get loose. Small heads can also easily be overdriven while a roofing nail is almost never overdriven. With a larger head, you have to be more careful with nail placement or you'll have shiners showing everywhere.