Cedar shakes- four year difference

Old 08-27-11, 09:12 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cedar shakes- four year difference

I put new red #2 cedar shakes on my extension fours years ago. Now I am finally getting to replace the 20 year old shakes on the original part of the house. I would like to just seal all the shakes when I'm done. What is the best route to have all the shakes in similar shape/ color before sealing? Should I pressure wash the four year old shakes now and the whole house next year? Wait and do everything at once in a year or two or more?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-11, 02:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
It somewhat depends on the shakes themselves, if they have been dried, you can apply stain immediately, if not, you need to wait a few months before applying any type of sealer.

Often washing the wood with a bleach/water solution will lighten up the older shingles. There are also siding/deck cleaners that are more user friendly and can be followed up with a wood brightner after the cleaning.

What type of stain/sealer do you intend to use?

Old 08-27-11, 03:50 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
marksr - My plan was to give the whole house a pressure wash this spring, that would give the newer shakes time to get the oil and stuff out. I dry each bundle by standing then up against a 2X4 on jack stands in the sun for a day before installing them. I don't want to stain it a color just seal it with it's natural color but my concern is that the four year old shakes and the new shakes will have different colors. Do you have a recommendation for a good clear sealer?

Old 08-27-11, 04:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 180 Posts
Clear sealers don't fair well Generally the more pigment the stain has - the longer it will last. I'd recommend using a toner or translucent stain. It will hold up longer than a clear sealer like thompson's waterseal. Toners just add a little bit of color to the stain. You'll almost always find better coatings at your local paint store as opposed to a paint dept. Price is usually a good indicator of quality.

You do want to go easy with the PWer as it is easy to damage that type of siding. When you get ready to do the cleaning - let us know and we'll walk you thru the procedure.