fiber cement siding decisions

Old 09-01-11, 03:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fiber cement siding decisions

Hi there, in the process of deciding which fiber cement siding to use on outside of our new addition. Have the Hardieplank and Maxiplank specs, samples and costing....both come primed and I will paint it once its up. Big difference is cost...big advantage to Maxiplank. That being said I have questions on durability in the Canadian seasons. Plus, its a relatively new product available on the Prairies...if you google it there have been issues with wear and fit.

Any experiences to share +, - for each is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-11, 06:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Hardie is the original and it's proven but it's spendy.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Maxiplank.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-02-11 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-01-11, 12:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
I've used maxiplank a lot and I like it better than JH. With JH you are probably paying for the name. I spoke to a guy who is a factory finisher (he owns the operation) and he prefers Maxi to JH as well. He thinks its a superior product. Right now they have a million ft of it to pre-paint.

Old 09-02-11, 11:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I'm with Sleeper that some of the price of Hardie is the name. His opinion on the Maxi is good enough for me.

Old 09-24-11, 08:20 AM
went with the primed maxiplank - have chosen the finish color, now whats the best paint for coverage and durability - as always thanks

Old 09-24-11, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
To some extent the type and color of the paint will affect coverage. I'd suggest going to your local paint store [not a paint dept] and tell them what you want and then they can suggest their best options.

I've not painted a lot of that type of siding but have had good results using quality latex house paint [for wood siding] although there might be better options.

Old 10-02-11, 01:15 PM
I'm wanting to replace my siding on a 1970's wood frame house. It has that cheap pressed wood siding and would like to tear it off and replace with Hardi. I heard from a few people because of where i live that i need to get an inspector to inspect the job as i am replacing the siding otherwise Texas windstorm insurance won't cover my house. Is this true? And what are the consequences if I am trying to sell the house? I live in the area explained here. http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wind/docume...riorSiding.pdf.

Old 10-03-11, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Generally replacing siding is a job that requires a permit and inspection. Not having permits for work done can be an issue when the house is sold.

Old 10-05-11, 07:31 PM
Ok the next step...what are my options for trim at outside corners and around the windows

Old 10-05-11, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 243 Votes on 224 Posts
Well, a lot of people will stick with fiber-cement trim for the corners and trim, but there is nothing that says you HAVE to use fiber cement trim with fiber cement siding.

IMO the fiber cement trim is pretty difficult to work with, you really need to use a framing nailer w/flush drive adapter (and exterior nails) to nail through the stuff. It's hard to make corners out of, and hard to get nice looking joints.

I have also used LP Smart trim and Miratec trim, which are both engineered. LP is an oriented strand product, and Miratec is more like an exterior mdf, with zinc borate and other exterior treatment. There are also a few companies that make one-piece exterior corners. Quattrotimber makes one brand that I have used.

Azek is a pvc trim, but that would be your most expensive option. You also need to install pvc trim with pairs of screws every 12-16" if you don't want it to move on you, because it expands and contracts more than other types of trim that we are used to using. You also need to use "vinyl safe" paints on pvc trim. Countersinking and filling the screw holes can be a real PITA.

Old 10-05-11, 11:30 PM
I recently (last year) trimmed out the corners on my 36' x 50' x 12' shop, and used pre-primed (finger-joint) 5/4 fir stock. Liked the cost, and shooting it with the nail gun was a breeze (only cracked one corner of one run of Hardie plank).