Installing Pellet Vent Pipe through wall

Old 09-17-11, 04:51 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Pellet Vent Pipe through wall

I have purchased a "diy level" pellet stove and vent double wall UL listed vent pipe kit to complete the setting of the unit. I am not daunted by the installation overall, but I am a bit troubled by the lack of ANY installation assistance with the special "wall thimble" used in this kit. It creates a stainless steel box to surround and hold the 3" double wall vent pipe and is intended to provide a safe pass through for combustible materials.

AS IT PERTAINS TO MY VINYL SIDING - should I cut the siding so that the exterior piece of the wall thimble fits into the hole THEN use caulk
-OR-
should I go to the extra work of trimming the siding around the thimble with j-channel?

Old 09-17-11, 07:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The thimble provides the 6" of all around clearance required by the manufacturer. Remove the siding around the area where you will install the thimble (leave the nails), allowing it to protrude through the wall a little. Caulk the thimble well and install window installation sticky tape around it, bottom first, then sides , then top to allow for proper shedding of water if it should get behind the siding. Then install j channel around the thimble, again, taking into consideration the water shedding. Reinstall your siding, cutting it to fit into the j channel. By not removing your nails, you can position your siding back in the same position as it came off.

Old 09-19-11, 04:51 AM
E
Great... so another question..

I can visualize what you have described - very helpful.

Is there a "best practice" in removing siding in the middle of a wall? I have sold vinyl siding but never installed or tried to work with it in this way.

Is there a good "vinyl siding basics" youtube vid or site I could reference?

Again - thanks - its sounds as if you have done this before! I appreciate it.

Old 09-19-11, 05:27 AM
I have found it best to remove an entire run of siding (10') in the area where you are working, above and below your work area, too. It may require you to pull 3 or 4 runs. Use the unzipping tool to remove the bottom piece and unzip the other pieces as well. Lift the bottom piece off the nail heads, again, to keep everything in perspective when you reattach it. This will give you a clear working space to install the thimble. After installation of the thimble and the j channel and sealant tape, then install the bottom piece, cutting as necessary around the j channel, working up, locking all the pieces in at the bottom first and lifting them over the nail heads. The top one will be the booger, as you have to "stretch" it over the lock at the bottom and "re-zip" it in place. I don't know of any videos, sorry.

Old 10-11-11, 05:36 AM
E
Finished...

Thanks for the help. I would upload pics, but don't see a method for that.

The total install took about 5 hrs - including some "step back and scratch the head" time. HA. The vinyl siding was "new territory" for me but all in all I think it went well.
More importantly, it passed inspection.

Thanks again.

Old 10-11-11, 04:45 PM
Old 10-11-11, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is it a common practice to horizontally vent a stove with vinyl siding on the exterior? I would think the hot gases over time would cause the vinyl to melt and/or catch fire. We had a pellet stove in the lower level of our last place, and only used it once--I wasn't comfortable with how hot the vent pipe outside was. There were already "heat marks" on the painted wood siding adjacent to the vertical pipe, from the previous owner's frequent use.

Old 10-12-11, 04:33 AM
E
While installing one doesn't make me an expert, I have done ALOT of reading on this. So I would say "yes" - the vent pipe UL certified for the proper application (either pellet only or multi bio fuel like cherry pits) is double walled and barely gets hot enough to touch. With the wall thimble that is UL certified with this pipe, your clearance to combustible is 3+". My application is horizontal through the wall and then vertical outside for a 4' run. Not only is it safe, but you are not messing with a roof that could leak down the road.

I'll post pictures.

Old 10-12-11, 05:00 AM
E
Pictures of Pellet Stove install

This is definitely "DIY grade" finish. However, having never worked with vinyl siding, I was pretty happy - OK PROUD - of the results. My only wish is that I had not used the black sealing caulk on the screws I mounted the thimble with: it sticks out like a sore thumb. The white caulk dried clear and I am quite confident I should not have any leakage.

Just one more note: I went overkill on the exhaust pipe and used higher temp muffler sealant rated at 800 F. The UL Cert does not require but after firing this up, I am glad I did.

Feedback is appreciated.

Walmart Digital Photo Center: Share:Album View

Old 10-29-11, 08:24 AM
T
Could not get your photos up, but just wanted to mention that I commonly see stove venting out the side of vinyl sided walls. They usually come out 2feet and then rain capped. They don't turn to go vertical and the distance is far enough that the heat doesn't effect the siding.

Old 10-29-11, 11:24 AM
E
I have as well, but most everything I read (stove manufacturer & pipe manufacturer) recommended the additional distance including the local inspector. It reduces snow drifts from getting up around it. My distance from grade to center of vent was not very high and this seem to make more sense.

Thanks for the feedback. It is appreciated. It continues to work very well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: