2 layers of tar paper under vinyl siding?

Old 10-02-11, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 layers of tar paper under vinyl siding?

Hi,

I recently removed my old siding in anticipation of re-siding with vinyl. I have left the old tar paper up to protect the house while I replaced my old windows. It has done a decent job so far. My question is do I need to remove the old paper before I put on new #30 tar paper? Are there any advantages/disadvantages to leaving it up and just covering with the new paper?

thanks so much,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-11, 06:00 PM
Hello, if the old tar paper is in GREAT shape, and you can cover it with out extensive work, there is no reason to tear it down. I personally would recommend using Tyvek instead of more tar paper. But that is a debate no one has won yet. So in short yes you are ok to cover it and have 2 layers with out any issues.

Old 10-03-11, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
I would agree with that. IMO the only drawbacks to using tarpaper are:

-none of the butyl window flashing tapes will stick to it (not for long, anyway)
-it can't be made air tight (like you would with Tyvek, provided you taped all the seams)
-the asphalt impregnation can give off an odor as it gets hot underneath your vinyl siding (some people are ultra-sensitive to that sort of thing)
-if working in hot weather the asphalt impregnation can eventually make a few dirty smudge marks on the brand new siding if you're hot and sweaty, and some of that asphalt transfers onto your hands, etc.

Old 10-11-11, 09:15 PM
Detached garage/ tar paper for vinyl siding

I have a small detached garage framed up and waiting for the trusses to arrive. I plan on using 1 layer of 15# tar paper for the side walls, which will be under the vinyl siding. Is that sufficient? The garage won't be heated.

Old 10-12-11, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Larry, as the others have stated, there are drawbacks to tarpaper. Read XSleeper's comments on post #3. Tyvek or Typar would be the only way to go. In addition they breathe, whereas tarpaper doesn't, and should any moisture get behind it, it will have no place to go.

Old 10-13-11, 09:23 AM
I purchased the Typar yesterday, I thought it was going to be more expensive, but not too bad. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-13-11, 01:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Plus, being in 9' wide rolls, you just zip around the house with a slap stapler then put cap nails in if you desire.

Old 10-13-11, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry 2010 View Post
I thought it was going to be more expensive, but not too bad.
the price of tar paper has really gone up recently. It used to be under $10, now it's over $20.

Old 10-16-11, 06:56 PM
Yeah, Menards has the 9' roll for 89 on sale. The tar paper is 30 per roll. of course, I bought it before it went on sale and pd 105