Guage for face-nailing

Old 01-05-12, 05:05 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Guage for face-nailing

Does anyone know of a fiber-cement lap siding gauge (those gadgets that hold a plank on the previous lap so you can work alone) that will work with face-nailing?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-12, 11:00 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Gauge

Seems to me you could make a gauge from wood that hooks on the last board and locates the bottom edge of the board being installed.

If you want one already made, try this:

Amazon.com: Malco FCMS 5-Inch to 8-Inch Exposure Facing Gauge and Overlap Gauge Set: Home Improvement

Old 01-05-12, 02:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
You can use the same gauges that you use for blind nailing, just like Ken linked to. If you like using two of them, put the first one at about 1/3 and the 2nd at 2/3. If nailing left to right, set your first couple nails on the left, then slide the gauges out from under the right side as you continue nailing. IMO it's easier to just use one gauge on the end of the plank since you are probably holding the other end in one hand with the siding nailer in the other.

Old 01-06-12, 11:09 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll take your word for it, but what I've been loaned is the Gecko, which installs on the bottom of a plank because of the weird variability in widths of HardiPlank. This means it has to fit on the bottom of a plank that's already been nailed up.

I had a feeling it would involve not nailing near the gauge until the gauge is removed. The planks have some flex.

I'd have just gone ahead and tried but I'm working on gable ends only so just getting started is complicated. Guess I have to stop procrastinating now.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-12, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
Never seen one of those... looks kinda cool! I found a video for it on Youtube. You might be able to use it for face nailing if you place it, like I said at about 1/3 and 2/3, then nail the siding on the left, middle and right end- don't nail close to where the gauge is so that you can still slip it out and under the next row of siding. Then once you've removed it and have moved on to the next course, go back and nail off the nails you skipped 2 rows below.