what kinda of siding is this ?

Old 01-08-12, 08:02 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what kinda of siding is this ?

it looks like i am buying this house. and i plan to put new siding on it, probably vinyl. but i would like to know what this stuff is and what issues i can expect dealing with it. thanx

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-12, 08:17 AM
Those look like asbestos shingles. As long as you just go over the top of them, you should not have/create problems. If you plan on removal, hire a firm specializing in asbestos abatement. DO NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to cut them with a powered saw of any kind. It's the dust that would be created that is harmful.

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-08-12, 09:18 AM
C
i was afraid of that.

siding right over them !? wow, hmm. how would the end result be ?
seems to me that since those are laped, the new siding would show signs of of what is underneath.

also. i plan to replace all of the windows. and i am sure they will be of different size and shape. so i must cut it. how ?

Old 01-08-12, 09:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Could be newer mineral siding containing no asbestos. Try to nail vinyl to them and they may shatter into pieces. In my area in some cases there was on solid sheathing underneath just horizontal 1X4s spaces several inches apart, just close enough to act as nailers.

Me, I'd just assume mineral siding not asbestos siding and remove. You might want to wear a dust mask. The key is to not assume they are asbestos and therefor not have them tested. Asbestos is dangerous if you work in an asbestos plant for 30 years without appropriate safety measures. I have never read of any harm from short term casual contact of a very limited nature.

Old 01-08-12, 10:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I also think the shingles are likely asbestos. They do paint well and when painted correctly the paint job can last longer than it would on wood siding.

The biggest danger when dealing with asbestos is inhaling the dust. I used to spray a lot of asbestos popcorn and have suffered no ill effects from it..... but the asbestos was wet. It is mostly hazardous when in a dry powder form! Local regs can vary greatly in different locales, some are very strict while others are surprisingly lax.

Old 01-08-12, 10:41 AM
C
thanx guys. even if these are asbestos. being outside, the wind would blow away most dust. i just have to wear a mask and stand upwind. i would still be cautious .

Old 01-08-12, 01:47 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Siding

Try using screws to fasten the new siding. Expect to use considerable pressure to drive the screws through the old material. I have seen it done successfully where there was solid 1x sheathing under the old siding.

Old 01-08-12, 05:28 PM
C
well, first off. with the surface not being flat, wouldn't the new siding not lay flat ?

Old 01-09-12, 04:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
I don't know a lot about vinyl siding but isn't that what fanfold is for?

Old 01-09-12, 07:00 PM
C
idk. but i don't see that stuff making the surface ridgidly flat.

Old 01-09-12, 07:13 PM
D
Asbestosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Ray's comments are a little reckless in regards to asbestos. I don't disagree that small exposure to asbestos is going to instantly give you lung cancer. However, tearing a house worth of asbestos siding off and throwing it into the dumpster is going to give you a high exposure in a short period of time. Dust of any kind that is as small as asbestos is a problem for your lungs. A standard dust mask is not going to provide you with protection against asbestos.

In the absence of testing, I would plan to side over it. Vinyl siding is largely done over old siding and you don't see it. The old siding is covered with thin foam board like fan fold.

Old 01-09-12, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
IMO, i don't know WHY people side over asbestos siding. Nails or screws that penetrate it are still making dust and breaking the siding, and even if it's covered with fanfold or sheets of foam, that dust is still going to find its way out from under the new siding eventually, to be carried by the wind to some poor unsuspecting passer-by. Plus someday some poor sucker is going to remove that "new" siding that was put up, and have a boatload of broken pieces of asbestos siding falling down at his feet that HE'LL have to deal with as he's picking the pieces out of his lawn.

IMO the best thing to do now is to remove it and get rid of it while you still can. Just google "homeowner remove asbestos siding" to get tips on how to do it in a reasonably safe manner. Asbestos is not on the same par as nuclear waste, despite everyone's best efforts to make it out as if it were. Yes, some people can get cancer from asbestos exposure, just like some people get cancer from second hand smoke. Others can smoke 3 packs a day and never get cancer. Same sort of deal. Problem is you don't know if you are one of those people or not, so the wise course it to be safe.

But last time I checked this is still the USA and a homeowner can still do what he wants to his own house. And why is it that we (homeowners and contractors alike) are "forced" to pay exorbant prices to have asbestos abatement teams clean up this mess? Shouldn't the big businesses who made all the profit from these products be the ones who have to clean up their own mess? (stepping off soap box).

Sorry, in a crabby mood tonight. LOL

Old 01-09-12, 07:40 PM
C
going over it would be GREAT ! except, i am concerned with the vinyl laying basicly flat.

what about putting some plywood/whatever over it, then siding ?
this would be rigid enough to be flat, i think.

Old 01-10-12, 07:18 PM
D
Seriously, it lays flat. Drive around any old neighborhood. Look at the houses with vinyl siding and you will see how it looks. I'm sure there are really bad reside jobs out there, but there are also terrible new siding jobs out there.

Old 01-13-12, 02:02 PM
S
Assuming the siding does contain asbestos I would try and remove it if possible to be done with the problem. In most areas you can still do this as a homeowner but you will need to check with your local authorities. Disposal could also require some special provisions. Getting a sample tested might make sense. The test would cost less than $20.00 in our area. Asbestos related deseases typically have dose-response correlation (the greater your exposure the greater your chance of getting sick). However mesothelioma has no such correlation so one fiber can kill you if you are unfortunate enough to be suseptible to this desease. On the bright side we all probably already breathed this potentially deadly fiber in years ago. Working with asbestos is not as scary as many would like you to believe, however we have the multitude of regulations today because to many people in the past have treated asbestos like it was harmless. Do not be intimidated by it but don't be reckless either.

Old 04-04-12, 05:44 AM
W
My dad worked for an asbestos abatement company here in Illinois for years.

The removal contractors had to follow all sorts of rules and regulations for containment, disposal etc.

But, if a homeowner were to do it themselves, there are ZERO regulations. It can get thrown into a normal trash can.

Old 04-04-12, 08:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
But, if a homeowner were to do it themselves, there are ZERO regulations.
Makes sense since it is long term exposure that is dangerous.