Liquid Epoxy vs Log Rot

Old 03-21-12, 12:11 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Liquid Epoxy vs Log Rot

I have rot in the log part of my house - right at the worst spot; near the corner joints. I am looking for someone who can give me some suggestion as to their experience with liquid epoxy. I am thinking about injecting the wood with syringes because I do not want to drill 1/4" ± holes and have to plug them. Also, because I think it would be better to inject the epoxy under some pressure rather than rely on just catalytic attraction or seepage.
I have had two wooden boats and have used a commercial liquid epoxy; just using a brush on dry-rot, and it worked well but was very, very expensive for the large areas to be covered . A marine hardware store down south, (that’s been in business since the Earth cooled), told me I could achieve the same results buy diluting the resin to the desired viscosity with Ketone before adding the hardener. This seemed to work like a charm. In fact, when I mixed sawdust into it and patched a large gouge in the hull, I tore up three 60 grit sanding belts to get it flush with the surrounding area because I hadn’t taken care to smooth it down when I applied it.
They also told me I could use about 15% to 20% less hardener and it would remain somewhat flexible if I was worried about movement and twisting that a hull goes through. I am leery to use the softened epoxy on my cabin - not having an idea what affect it might have on strength, even though I’m also worried about the epoxy making the logs too brittle if it doesn’t have some give to it.
Any suggestions or comments regarding experience with, “Home-Made”liquid epoxy would be appreciated.
Thanks,
WAPIII

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-12, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Would it be possible for you to post a few pictures (not close ups) of the affected area on your home? That way, we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html