Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Exterior Paneling and All Exterior Sidings
Reload this Page >

Vinyl siding fasteners for attachment to sheathing only.

Old 04-20-12, 12:31 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello all, newbie here.

My house has 1/2 plywood sheathing over 4 inches of rigid foam insulation. I have no way to attach my vinyl siding to studs, just the sheathing.

I'm not in a high wind area, but we get the occasional bad storm. Some folks tell me just to use regular aluminum nails and don't worry about it, but I'd like the piece of mind of knowing I used something better.

I'm thinking either aluminum screws or aluminum ring shank nails, for the additional holding power. I can't find anything like that in Lowes, Home depot, or the local fastener center. Maybe an online supplier? Recommendations?

Any advice before I start this job? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-12, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Why can't you use the studs for attachment? Attaching to the sheathing is fine, but you will get a warm and fuzzy if you can hit a stud. Use 1 1/2" either aluminum or hot dipped galvanized roofing type nails. No need for screws. Just don't bang the nails too tightly, since the siding has to move in the slots with expansion and contraction.

Old 04-20-12, 06:00 PM
T
The house is post and beam construction, originally intended to be covered with a stone veneer. Two, two inch layers of staggered 4x8 sheets of rigid foam cover the outside and is sheathed in plywood that was somehow attached to an inner shell, as best I understand. All of this is wrapped in, what I believe is, some sort of rolled roofing that will stay in place. I'll be installing the siding over it all. I guess you'd have to see it. One way or the other, there are no studs for attachment, just the plywood.

Old 04-20-12, 11:04 PM
Regular roofing nails hold shingles in place on roofs that are only going into sheathing so why wouldn't they hold siding on that is much thinner? The only way the wind would be a problem, I think, is if the siding does not go into the trim pieces enough and the wind gets behind the siding. Usually when that happens not even a bolt would hold the siding on as the slot would tear out around it.

Old 04-21-12, 05:49 AM
T
Well, shingles have a lot more nails in them too. Maybe that's a possibility? If I used more nails per piece of siding, instead of the conventional every 16 inches, it seems like that would have more holding power as well. Opinions anyone?

Old 04-21-12, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
You will be fine if you use the hot dipped galv roofing nails that Chandler mentioned. If you put them every 12-16" that will be fine.

Old 04-21-12, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Don't overthink this and don't fret. It is done every day by probably 90% of all siding installers.