Help with roof deco wood piers?

Old 04-21-12, 09:00 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with roof deco wood piers?

Hey all,

I'm about to attempt to remove and replace these. I have 3 total. Does anyone that has done this before have any advice as to what I will encounter and what I should use to replace. I was also thinking of leaving them out and just refacing the area with new wood then painting.

Thanks in advance for any input

ImageShack Album - 2 images

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-12, 09:14 AM
If it was my home I would trim them to just behind the soffit rake board. I would cut them at an angle so the bottom was 2 inch shorter than the top. Then patch or replace the soffit rake boards to get a smooth look. Then I would paint those beams white the same as the soffit. I believe they are just for looks but if they do support something I definitely would not remove them.

Old 04-22-12, 11:00 AM
G
Yeah I would do that if I could and yes they are just for looks. They only go in a few inches. The problem with just trimming them is that they are almost completely rottedthrough. I'm just not going to be a happy camper if i have to go in the attic as there isn't much space

Old 04-22-12, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
How about patching with a 2 part epoxy putty and then sand and repaint?

I agree with Greg about cutting them back though. Then they would be sheltered under the soffit.

Old 04-22-12, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I've painted a lot of houses with that type of fake beam. Unless the paint and caulk is kept in perfect condition - it's always a problem! I agree with the others that however you fix it, keep it under the soffit. Rain and sun cause the paint to degrade quickly on the top of the beam. Once the paint starts to peel - there is no protection from the elements.

Old 04-23-12, 06:57 AM
G
I guess I am just wanting someone to chime in and let me know if the remove/replace can all be done from the outside? I am really not looking forward to crawling in a space that small. By looking at it from the outside it seems like I will have to do just that to be able to mount/support them.

Old 04-23-12, 11:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I've only painted them but I would think you'd be able to tear it out from the exterior. Replacing it might be tricky but once you have the old torn out you'll be better able to figure out how install the replacement. Instead of a real beam you might consider installing a 2x4 and then building a fake beam out of 1xs.

I wouldn't want to crawl that low into the attic either

Old 04-23-12, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
I would also think you could do it all from the outside. You might be surprised to find they don't even carry into the house.

Old 04-23-12, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 641 Votes on 593 Posts
I'd remove the trim that surrounds them (against the brick and against the soffit) and see if there are any gaps there that let you know how far back they really go. If you don't have beams on the inside of those rooms, then I would assume that they are for looks, and that they were probably toenailed to the sheathing before the brick went up. Getting them out should be the easy part. yes, all from the outside. You might need a grinder and a 1/16" blade to zip off any nails that are left sticking out once the old beam is removed.

I'd replace them with a piece of solid douglas fir 4x12 beam. Might have to order it but that would be best. Countersink some screws into them here and there to hit some framing and then putty the holes shut with bondo.

Since you are replacing them, I'd only make them long enough to reach the back side of the fascia. I'd also replace all the fascia so as to eliminate all those notches. I might even consider cutting a dogear (45 angle) off the bottom 1/3 corner so that they don't look so big and blocky.

Old 04-27-12, 07:18 PM
G
That is good advice, Thanks! I will post a pic if and when I get around to this project