House is Built Sideways

Old 05-05-12, 08:57 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House is Built Sideways

I recently purchased a home and I got it because it was really hard to find a four bedroom home in the suburb I chose in my price range. The only issue is that in order to fit a home of this size on the lot the builder built it sideways. Any ideas on how to make my home not look like the sore thumb of the street?
the window on the left is a bedroom as well as the window on the right. The space in between is a bathroom

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-12, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Landscaping would probably help a good bit. Adding a porch would make it look like the front of the house but I don't know if it would be feasible to have access to it from one of the bedrooms.

Old 05-07-12, 06:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
The house is sideways, hard to disguise something like that.

I think I'd start with landscaping as well, looking to somewhat hide the structure from the street.

Old 05-12-12, 07:28 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anything that will soften the angles, just some simple shrubs would be nice. I'm glad to have found this, as I am looking for shutter color ideas myself. If the area next to the house gets good sun, plant some rose shrubs.

Old 05-12-12, 12:16 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I suspect it was built with the orientation it has because you have a narrow lot. In order to have the proper setbacks from the property lines and meet yard requirements as specified in your local zoning ordinances it was necessary to build it that way.

And yes, landscaping will do wonders.

Old 05-12-12, 02:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 178 Posts
Maybe adding some shakes in the gable part above the windows and painting it a darker blue color. Or, go cheap and just paint the part above the windows the blue color. I would leave the shutters the darker gray. People say you should have 3 colors on a house.